AIR 2 O-Ring assist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

racerken

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I have an AIR 2 which needs new O-rings.

does anyone know which part number to order from McMaster or Grainger?

The part is the Air Barrel Assembly with 2 x O-rings which are about .1" thick and about .5" wide.

here are some pictures.

Thanks,

Ken

They're 109's SP PN 01-050-385. MC PN 9557K149 Correct 70 shore EPDM

Last edited:
Since you went to the trouble to micrometer the o-ring, here's a way to do it yourself:
You're looking for AS568 o-rings if they're Imperial, or Metric sizes if they're metric.
The standard is to measure the width of the ring material itself, as you did - in your case, 0.103"
Then, the convention is to measure the ID of the o-ring, not the OD. Subtracting 2 x .103 from the 0.507" you measured yields an ID of 0.301" (which you could have measured directly).

Now Google "AS568 o-ring size" and you'll get a link like this:
O-ring Sizing Chart

From this chart you'll see that a material diam of 0.103" and an ID of 0.301" corresponds most closely to a 2-109 o-ring, just like steveharriss noted:

-109 .103"+-.003" .299"+-.003" Nominal OD: .500"

You can do a similar search if the o-ring appears to be metric.

The only issue left is the hardness of the o-ring, (or duro or Shore).
For low pressure o-rings, 70 duro is most common. For the HP o-ring inside 1st stages, 90 duro is common. With some practice, you can tell the approximate duro (between those two) by squeezing a fresh o-ring. That doesn't apply if you're replacing a hard dried-up old buna-N oring. You can't tell what the duro was.

McMaster Carr has a rough guide to duro hardness in their catalog. Something about comparing with a shoe sole, etc.

Hi Rsingler,
Thanks for the details on o-ring selection. Just out of curiosity, how do you know that the measurements of an old o-ring is the proper original sizing? For example, when o-rings wear, do they shrink or do they swell?

Thanks,

Ken

Short and easy answer is you don't know. Best to know the sizing from manufacturer specifications. Just happens your o-rings are in pretty decent shape anyway. External o-rings are only ever going to get bigger

Commonly, when O-rings dry out, the OD's will "seem" to get smaller as they stay compressed into the sleeve that surrounded them in the regulator. Really it's just a reshaping. They won't "wear" at all. If that sort of friction is occurring, the o-ring will get chewed up and you'll have a ring failure (usually from lack of lube, or too soft a duro).
The best way to try to estimate what goes in place for a given regulator where you don't have a chart is to measure the diameter of the groove or land that it surrounds. In other words, you're measuring the Internal Diameter of the O-ring. Then pick the o-ring that is about 3-6% less in circumference, or 1-2% less in diameter. Since most of the rings we are talking about are standard 1/16" O-rings, they'll come from the AS568 chart. Unless they're metric, of course. When you fit them, they'll stretch then, about 3%. There are exceptions, like the wiper O-rings that are designed to be "sloppy" in the groove in which they sit (like the second o-ring on the white duro poppet of the G-250). But generally, sizes are designed around a slight stretch.

That said, a few O-rings have a little smaller outside diameter and ring thickness than the 1.78mm of the standard 1/16" AS568 oring. So if you put a standard 2-series ring in, it will fit too tightly and maybe get skinned on the outside as you try to insert it. A perfect example is the Scubapro 108/109/Bal Adj/G-250 orifice o-ring, which by ID seems to be a standard 2-010 oring. But that turns out to be a really tight fit, so a -902 o-ring actually works better.
Again, consulting the AS568 chart and comparing it with some available documents from the manufacturer will help you choose when you can't get a factory o-ring. For example, in another thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/re...e-o-ring-equivalence-table-sp-apeks-regs.html in Repairing Your Own Gear, I added a ScubaPro chart from the old days that gives exact sizes for the O-rings on a lot of vintage regulators. Easy way to compare and then select a desired AS568 o-ring.

To ensure I'm not giving you contrary info to the previous post, while I noted that the OD's seem to get smaller when stuck inside a piston sleeve (for example), that is the same sort of reshaping that I think steveharris is referring to above. The ID's of orings may get larger as they sit with a 3-6% stretch for a long time and then harden. In that case the ID's are bigger, as he suggested. But you can get a good guess by using a micrometer to check the diameter of the land and then subtracting 1-2%. Of course, we haven't gotten to the friction issue caused by using a non-factory o-ring that may have been designed for a special application (e.g., HP piston shaft). You'll find lots of threads that debate Buna-N vs Viton vs EPDM vs Teflon for various applications. So correct sizing (and duro) is the first step. Starting with Buna-N won't usually get you too far off base, but I'd make sure I dive a newly overhauled reg where you've done some experimenting at shallow depths where you can bail out, before you try cold/deep water with your own choice of o-ring. There's loads of advice on this issue on SB.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Wow. Interesting, i work with all sort of things that fly high and fast but I don't know beans aobut how and why these engineers pick o-rings... I'm going to have to re-read your post about 2 more times.

BTW, if anyone wants o-rings, just send me a PM, the size you need and I'll send you what you want. I purchased about 100 each of buna-n shore 70 o-rings.
DSCN0507.jpgDSCN0508.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom