Air 2 inflator/air source question about the hose w/adapter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sly New Girl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Sorry, another question and I wasn't sure whether to put it on the other question or start over so I'm starting over.

I was given a regulator set only it has an Air 2 hose on it for the BCD inflator/alternate air. I don't get to keep the BCD so I had to buy a smaller one just like it and it doesn't have an AIR2 on it.

Is the Air2 hose with its adapter proprietary? Just for the Air 2?
I can't find anything about the hose itself to tell me what it fits or if it only fits the Air 2.

Thank you in advance for your time and patience,
Sky

Well, the SeaSoft BCD I'm using isn't actually mine and he prefers it for everyday use so I have to give it back. With the Air 2 still attached, I'm sure :) I'll have to buy another something for my alternative regulator. I don't have one on my setup without an Air 2 and the SeaSoft Pro BCDs don't actually come with them. I didn't know that until I got the okay to buy one and I wanted to do that before someone changed their mind!
I was looking at the Air 2's and Air SS and Air 3 and etc. and I thought maybe they might be interchangeable (?)

Problem solved -

Bruce contacted me and I can have an Air2 installed on my BCD without voiding the warranty. I'm 5'11 and every BCD I try is either too short or too wide so I needed this BC specifically.

Thank you though :)

Last edited:
.......Problem solved - Bruce contacted me and ...:)

Bruce? Isn't that the name of the shark in "Jaws" and "Finding Nemo?"

FWIW there are three quick disconnect fitting sizes that most inflators or inflator/regulator usually fall into:

1) "Standard" <--- most inflators

2) Oceanic Air XS, Aeris Air Link, SeaQuest Air Source, Apeks Octo Plus, Zeagle Octo Plus, US Divers Air Mic.

3) Dive Rite Source, ScubaPro Air II, Tusa Duo-Air IR3, Sherwood Gemini, and Atomic SS1.

FWIW there are three quick disconnect fitting sizes that most inflators or inflator/regulator usually fall into:

2) Oceanic Air XS, Aeris Air Link, SeaQuest Air Source, Apeks Octo Plus, Zeagle Octo Plus, US Divers Air Mic.

3) Dive Rite Source, ScubaPro Air II, Tusa Duo-Air IR3, Sherwood Gemini, and Atomic SS1.

You made me laugh :) Bruce the CEO of SeaSoft. Too funny. He contacted me to let me know I can have the Air II installed. Pretty sweet deal huh? One thing I've noticed right off is how much help I'm getting on this board with things I don't know how to do or don't understand. I really really appreciate it. Thank you!

Just a heads up: Zeagle switched to an Air2 knockoff, and so the current Zeagle (Octo-Z) falls in category 3 now. Just letting you know since you are the man with the info for so many people.

Mares Air Source also falls into that category, though there version of the hose looks different.

And technically there is a difference between the Apeks/Old Zeagle and the USD/Oceanic hose. Though they are usually interchangeable, there is a difference large enough to make things sometimes not interchangeable. It's really only noticeable with the aftermarket fitting to turn standard LP hose into the specialized hoses, or in the thing to make a tire inflator work with one.

Just a heads up: Zeagle switched to an Air2 knockoff, and so the current Zeagle (Octo-Z) falls in category 3 now. Just letting you know since you are the man with the info for so many people.

Mares Air Source also falls into that category, though there version of the hose looks different.

And technically there is a difference between the Apeks/Old Zeagle and the USD/Oceanic hose. Though they are usually interchangeable, there is a difference large enough to make things sometimes not interchangeable. It's really only noticeable with the aftermarket fitting to turn standard LP hose into the specialized hoses, or in the thing to make a tire inflator work with one.

As I have found out, I gave some bad info here. I was looking at bunch of these together.

The Mares is called the Air Control, and it uses the same hose as the old Beauchat/Apeks/Old Zeagle, not the Air2 style hose.

As noted above there are three distinct hose styles:
1. Air2, and copies of it including the new Zeagle Octo-Z
2. USD/Oceanic
3. Old Zeagle/Beuchat/Mares

As a thread about miflex hoses not fitting some Aqualung alternate inflator regs pointed out, 2 and 3 can sometimes use the same hose (and both do just fine with the factory supplied fitting on each other), but some aftermarket adaptors fail to work. What makes it harder to deal with is that Zeagle use to make the Aqualung version (branded as a SeaQuest product), before Aqualung started making it for themselves, so an Aqualung dealer will have two hoses that are almost but not quite identical. And may not even know the difference, because they usually (but not always) work with each other.

I know until I started playing with some after market stuff like DiveAlerts, where some worked and some didn't on both the hose end, and the Alternate inflator nipple, I had no idea that 2 and 3 were actually different, because most of the time (but not all the time) they are interchangeable.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...9817-seaquest-scubapro-alt-air-fitting-2.html

That thread is an example of the confusion. Because 2 and 3 are near matches, and switching hoses works for most people, it is really confusing when, due to manufacturing tolerances, some random person's stuff does not work. What is even more confusing is that the aftermarket sometimes is aware of this and sometimes not. I have seen a Beachat specific DiveAlert, but they no longer maintain the distinction, and sell one that fits all 2 and 3 that is a match for the Oceanic one.

I'm 5'11 and every BCD I try is either too short or too wide so I needed this BC specifically.

Thank you though :)

Actually what you need is a BC that fits you well. :wink: There are other options besides jacket BCs, and they tend to fit FAR better, while diving, than any jacket BC I've seen. I'd also re-think the octo/inflator combo. Using one simply because your regulator has the hose is silly. If you have other reasons, that's different.

Back
Top Bottom