Aiming Light For DC600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rand

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was wondering if there is a way to mount an aiming light on a DC600.

I'm thinking I'll need to make or modify a tray to attach to the Sealife tray and then attach something like an Ultralight arm to it, but I'd like to hear any suggestions from anyone who has come up with something.

I'm also wondering how long the arm for the aiming light needs to be since I've never used one before.

I'm currently running a single strobe on the DC600 and want to use the aiming light primarily for night photos.

A simple trick that I have used is to take a small AA light and mount to the top of the flash with either a large elastic band/s or with Duct tape. It acts as a great spotting/focusing light as well as helps with the positioning of the strobe.

I do have a rig that I built using one of our flash arms and a couple of adaptors from Ultralight and mounted a Big Blue light on it. Great for shooting video as well.

Joe

I've taken to putting my Underwater Kinetics SL4 between the camera and the
strobe arm. It's snug and stays in place fairly well. It definitely helps the camera
to focus in low light and since that's where I'm usually holding the rig anyway it's easy
to keep a finger on the light and make minor aim adjustments to it as well.

The only "downside" to this is the SL4 is a yellowish light and if your strobe doesn't fully
illuminate the subject (like the hidiing toadfish in Cozumel) I can see the spot. As long
as the strobe hits your target it eliminates this spot.

When I had a DC500, I mounted a Fisheye focus light onto the cold shoe on top of the housing. The DC600 housing is basically identical so it should work fine. I bought some ULCS pieces from Reef Video. Worked great.

I had to trim a little rubber from around the cold shoe, but no big deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom