AI computer and SPG on same console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malpaso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Will both a computer (Vyper Air or Cobra) and a pressure gauge both function correctly on the same console? I want to keep the SPG for redundancy.

Cobra is not hoseless so no - you couldn't have that in the same console as an SPG as they both need a hose to read pressure. The Vyper air is hoseless so it could work in a console, assuming you could find a console to put it in. It looks like there was a Vyper console at one point, no idea if a Vyper air module could be installed though.

So the only way to have redundancy would be to have an AI wrist computer, like the Vyper Air?

I put a hoseless computer in a friend console and he used the transmitter and analog gauge. Their analog gauges will hold the Vyper Air.

So the only way to have redundancy would be to have an AI wrist computer, like the Vyper Air?

Depends on your regulator if it has two high pressure ports then you can have two gauges. Also I have used hoseless computer since they came out and I have never used a backup gauge.

I had battery issues with an AI once (brand new batteries on a liveaboard, who would have figured)...but luckily I had a SPG and depth guage consol in my kit and I quickyly swapped them out. Since then I tend to keep the AI and the SPG/depth gauge consol both on the 1st stage.

No, but if you are looking for redundancy, which is always a good idea, you could try an air-integrated computer (such as the Vyper Air) and a console pressure gauge or computer (like the Cobra). Sure, it a bit of an investment, but for me it is worth it.

I have a Cobra 3, and my regulator has two high pressure ports. When I first got my Cobra 3 I also kept a SPG mounted on the other high pressure port on a short hose so that it was clipped at my front shoulder on my BCD. I no longer have the SPG mounted (the hose degraded and I didn't bother replacing it); if my Cobra 3 dies, its time for me to thumb the dive and do a safe ascent to the surface anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom