Agency differencies of beginner tech cources

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walde

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning on taking a SSI Extended Range Trimix or similar course this year. I'm diving sidemount and the biggest problem is finding sidemount instructor. It might be easier to find sidemount instructor for some other agency than SSI.
So what are the comparable cources from other agencies? And what are the differencies if compared to SSI XR trimix?
Thanks.

You don't need a sidemount instructor for TRIMIX. You just need to have your tech fundamentals down. For example one of the requirements for my TRIMIX was to drop 4 stages and pick them back up while maskless and maintain 1/2 meter bouncy. My TRIMIX instructor is not a side mount instructor.

If you’re looking at a lot of bottles, how you carry and deal with them is going to be different SM than with BM doubles. A trimix instructor wouldn’t have to also be a SM instructor, but I think should have some experience SM with all those bottles to help students who dive SM. A trimix instructor who has only ever dived BM doubles and has no clue what goes on with SM and a lot of bottles might be a less than ideal choice for a SM diver.

In PADI you have one dive to show you have the skills before you start doing deco. You need to bring the skills to the class. Especially in side mount. I don't think other agencies are much different.

Any Trimix Instructor will do as long as you are confident in handling stages.

You have experience doing this yourself and have gone through the training?

I'm planning on taking a SSI Extended Range Trimix or similar course this year. I'm diving sidemount and the biggest problem is finding sidemount instructor. It might be easier to find sidemount instructor for some other agency than SSI.
So what are the comparable cources from other agencies? And what are the differencies if compared to SSI XR trimix?
Thanks.

Good evening Walde, Im a trimix instructor that dives back and side mount xr / trimix.

Based out in Malta, id be very happy to discuss training options to suit your preference.

regards

L

I 100% disagree with most of the comments above.

Any advanced training should be completed in the configuration you plan on diving. I absolutely believe in that even to the point of drysuit verses wet and somewhat, SM system specific. Classroom and theory stuff is nothing, it's the configuration, comfort and skills where this is important. Advance dive training is another block on your foundation of fundemental skills, and that block needs to fit - that is what you are paying for.

Bottle handling and placement is taught different ways - right rich, left lean is not gonna work when you pair up with a group that learned otherwise.

If you are diving SM, search out a SM instructor - you'll find them normally in a cave somewhere. Agency has little meaning UNLESS your long term intentions are something like GUE cave stuff, then you should get on that agencies path. An instructor that teaches the way you dive, the way you look to the future in diving is much more important than the agency.

I 100% disagree with most of the comments above.

Any advanced training should be completed in the configuration you plan on diving. I absolutely believe in that even to the point of drysuit verses wet and somewhat, SM system specific. Classroom and theory stuff is nothing, it's the configuration, comfort and skills where this is important. Advance dive training is another block on your foundation of fundemental skills, and that block needs to fit - that is what you are paying for.

Bottle handling and placement is taught different ways - right rich, left lean is not gonna work when you pair up with a group that learned otherwise.

If you are diving SM, search out a SM instructor - you'll find them normally in a cave somewhere. Agency has little meaning UNLESS your long term intentions are something like GUE cave stuff, then you should get on that agencies path. An instructor that teaches the way you dive, the way you look to the future in diving is much more important than the agency.
ultimately i agree with the intention

but then what your saying is that a sidemounter is no better suited to a dive possibly with back mounters.

a good experienced team member, trained well, will handle a situation where they need to acquire a bottle.
In PADI you have one dive to show you have the skills before you start doing deco. You need to bring the skills to the class. Especially in side mount. I don't think other agencies are much different.
exactly,

and if you don't, expect to pay for extra days.

the outline is there, and there is no maximum allowed to teach, just sadly right this minute, most other bashings come from the photos.

example:TDI physically post what you will learn for detail on their webpage, Padi put in it the material/book, but you have to pay for that material.

Some will argue about QC requirements for this being posted, a good instructor will listen and future proof your level of diving and attitude.

The Tec side mount is intro to Tec for side mounters and so on.

These days it is well observed that DIR is the way and your attitude should be to safely exit the water with planned reserves.

if you see an instructor is trimmed out in their photos and clearly dives that way, you know youre on to a win with any dude, then it will be how much you learn or can afford to absorb.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom