aga full face mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gerry9713

Registered
Reaction score
just bought a aga f/f mask and it makes noise on exhale? sort of a vibration type noise. any ideas? Is this normal?

Is it a vibration that sort of shakes the entire mask on your face or just sort of a "stutter" feel? I dont' think either one of them is a big deal but the mask shaking on your face is annoying. If it is doing that I would take it to a tech and get it adjusted.

Brent

I just got one myself. The second stage is different from any other I have seen.
The exhaust moves through an accordian-like diaghram which is very sensitive. Its an inhale & exhale diaphram combined into one. If its only on the exhale I myself wouldnt worry about it. Its probably the exhale diaphram fluttering. Its VERY big and VERY thin, which I would suspect to flutter. Unscrew the cover and inspect it yourself. The owners manual tells you to do this inspection anyhow. Of course, not everyone is mechanical and it would scare the crap out of them. :deal:

No one on the scuba board can answer this question. Does it happen in & out of the water? If you bought it off ebay chances are the diaphram is worn and needs replacing - or it could be other things AGA techs know of on this board. If you are this worried and don't have the confidence or skill to check yourself- best to take it to a LDS. good luck.

only in the water. went to manufactrurers web page and got manual it explained it further.thanks for help.

FFMDiver:
No one on the scuba board can answer this question. Does it happen in & out of the water? If you bought it off ebay chances are the diaphragm is worn and needs replacing - or it could be other things AGA techs know of on this board. If you are this worried and don't have the confidence or skill to check yourself- best to take it to a LDS. good luck.

I can answer that question...

Won't cause any damage, but it is annoying. Refer to this link, the diaphragm attachment section at the bottom of the page:

http://www.oceantechnologysystems.com/aga-exploded_gold_noprices.shtml

Take some Dow #7 silicone grease and put about a match head size dollop (sorry, I don't mean to get technical) in the hole of the sealing disc (#6). That's the translucent disc with the small hole that the shaft of the guide disc goes into; this is the gray disc (#4) with the large spring attached to it. Smear a little grease in the hole of the exhaust valve seat also called the diaphragm ring (#9) as well. This is the part that looks like a wagon wheel. Note that these shafts fit one within the other through the diaphragm assembly. Make sure that you have reassembled these components back the way that they were when you disassembled them. Check your operator’s manual for how far you can disassemble the diaphragm assembly. Don't, repeat don't get into the valve stem without proper training.

This should reduce if not eliminate the flutter in the mask.

If you think you've screwed up the mask, have a certified technician check it for you. I've seen LDS's that don't have a technician on staff screw these up beyond belief. Make sure they are certified and current by OTS or Interspiro.

If your mask hasn't been overhauled in a year or so, or if you bought it used, have it overhauled or at least inspected by a technician.

You can PM me if you have any questions.

Back
Top Bottom