Aga ffm or other options for dive team??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bowers

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am on a psd team that is in need of new equipment. Years ago we were gifted a few aga masks with coms. Now we are looking at getting more ffm’s for more team members and better size options. (I personally have to REALLY crank down the straps to get seal). I’ve noticed a lot of good reviews on some other brands (ocean reef, OTS, etc..) and wondered what some of you with experience in these masks might have to say.
My topics of interest are:
Mask fit and comfort
Pros and cons to configuration (i like the hose being over right shoulder and aga is odd about this).

How well do the coms work and what options do the coms have? Like can i use it with other brands? Will it link to our existing surface unit? Is volume appropriate?

durability and performance in adverse conditions such as current or under ice?

any other info that should be looked into?

thanks in advance :)

Stay with OTS comms which should be on your AGA already. OTS Guardian is where my money would go. Similar in use to the AGA's so training is the same, but the second stage is removable which is great for cleaning and stuff, it uses a normal regulator hose and comes off of the right side which is convenient, and the ports for comms are way easier to use than the AGA's

Stay with OTS comms which should be on your AGA already. OTS Guardian is where my money would go. Similar in use to the AGA's so training is the same, but the second stage is removable which is great for cleaning and stuff, it uses a normal regulator hose and comes off of the right side which is convenient, and the ports for comms are way easier to use than the AGA's
Ty tbone. Do you have any experience with the ocean reef system too? I wondered if their coms were compatible?

Ty tbone. Do you have any experience with the ocean reef system too? I wondered if their coms were compatible?

I've dove a couple of them and didn't like them.@Lake Hickory Scuba has a few youtube videos about the Ocean Reefs and Bryan uses them and likes them. He would have to validate, but if my memory is working, channel 1 on the Ocean Reef GSM is compatible with OTS channel A, but not channel 2/B He does a lot more commercial/PSD diving than I do, but I much prefer my Poseidon *that has OTS comms, it's a Poseidon version of the AGA from the same designer*. I have an SSB2010 on my Poseidon and a buddyphone on my AGA. I would strongly recommend at least getting OTS comms if you're going to be doing work with other teams though since you may need to be on different channels for different teams.

I agree with @tbone1004 , The Guardian is for best bet with OTS comms. My team uses the MK7 Buddy line with 3 comms lines. I have used the AGA and had the same problem with the seal especially after losing weight. I have used the Guardian and the Spectrum both with comms and the seal is great. We have one guy on the team with the Ocean Reef, he likes it but won't spring to set it up with comms. I have also used the EXO26 which was good but a little heavy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom