After the laughter...answer the question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok so it gave you a giggle...maybe even a gaffaw.

It just makes me a little uneasy to work on something I have never worked on before....especially since my life depends on it.

Not a real complicated thing....just.....I want to change my mouth piece on my reg to a Seacure and it seems like all you have to do is....
1. carefully twist off the retaining band ( that little black electric wire holder thingy)

2. pull off the old mouth piece

3. Slip the Seacure mouth piece on

4. Place and tighten the new plastic holder thingy.

5. Pray you did it right and didnt screw up any thing.

Is it as easy as it looks???

Why dont I take it to my lds???? Because i didnt buy the Seacure from him and he goes ballistic when I bring things in I didnt buy from him. But I got a great deal.....two .... yep....2 .... Seacure mouth pieces for only $10 !!! Couldnt pass that up not matter who i upset.

thankssssssssssss

1. Attach the dust cap on the first, and try to breath through the second, verify no air comes into the second (You'll see why later). Get some zip ties from your local hardware store, or hopefully some came with the new mouthpiece.

2. Cut (don't twist) the zip tie off the regulator second stage. Once this is done, the mouthpiece should slide off without much effort (the reason for the zip tie...) I use fingernail clippers, you can pretty much use any sort of cutter that looks like it will work - If you don't care about the old mouthpiece at all, this is a simpler step (just cut into it as well)

3. Push on the new mouthpiece and wrap the zip tie around it pulling it tight... Now that the new mouthpiece is on, take a breath through the second as in (1). Verify that no air is coming in. If it is, you probably need to tighten the zip tie...

optional - I take a emory board to the end of the zip tie (block)and file the edges smooth (just a little) so that it doesn't poke me...

That's it man... If you want, you can get a (ScubaPro?) mouthpiece clamp that is reuseable so that you can switch mouthpieces back and forth without cutting zip ties...

Don't feel bad about not knowing how this stuff works. You need to start somewhere and this is probably the best place to start. Much better than if you had posted with - I just took apart my first stage and put it back together, but now I have these extra parts that weren't needed... :)

One thing I would add that is specific to the Seacure mouthpiece is that you may want to put a tiny dab of water soluable lubricant on the mouthpiece before you try to slide it onto the regulator. This is not required, but the Seacure is relatively hard after it cools and isn't as easy to shove onto the regulator as a soft silicone mouthpiece.

Have fun.

I was surprised at how much effort it took to attach the seacure mouthpiece to my SP G500 and S600. You probably want to use a little lubricant (soap - pithuie....) to get the mouthpiece on to the regulator body. The seacure was thicker than the original SP mouthpiece so I was not able to reuse the SP retainer.

Are you putting them on yur primary and backup regs? The reason I ask is that I dive with a buddy that has a secure and I can't breathe from her reg with teh secure on it when we do OOA drills. Her jaw is longer than mine and her mouth piece won't fit my mouth, its a terrible experience for me (yes drowning is terrible too) but I end up choking on the mouth piece cuz its so long. Anyone else run into this problem?

If you don't drop the whole seacure into the boiling water (like hold the top with some soft pincer things like tongs) that part will not become uber hard from boiling like the rest of it.

:)

I have done it both ways, and keeping the part that gets zip tied out of the water makes it MUCH more pliable long term.

And don't worry Rich, not everyone can know everything at once, this is the way we learn. Now just pass it on to someone else.

:wink:

Brules

thanks all....appreciate it...

Wendy...I know what you mean.....when i first put it in my mouth my gag reflex kicked in like crazy.....almost lost my lunch.

THEN i read the directions and they have like a whole paragraph on gag reflex and what to do. I do plan to trim it a little....

A...ummm...personal lubricant.....like K-Y jelly or the cheaper wal-mart version works very well for sliding snug fitting rubber or plastic parts together. It's silicone and latex freindly and being water soluable is easy to rinse away after the parts are assembled. It's a better option than soap.

I agree with Wendy, do NOT put a seacure on your backup..
The whole point of the seacure is a custom fit for your mouth..
The backup is there for your buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom