After over 3 decades in submarines, I decided to step outside…

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome aboard! Or, in your case, should I say, welcome to the MOB lot?!

Hey, not to prize anything out of you, but on occasion, driving my DPV in the waters off our fair island, I would hear certain regular pings… (can be rather annoying, I have to say). If I brought an mp3 player in a waterproof canister on a dive, what would be the sort of music to play, you know, to mark my territory? Would my man Ozzy still be appreciated?
I doubt very much that the pings you hear are from submarines, one of the primary objectives is to stay covert, dashing around pinging their sonars willy nilly kinda defeats that. Saying that though, it may be sonars from a small boat or fishermen, fish finders. I doubt very much they’re listening for you, but some Black Sabbath tunes may provide some clear water around you if they were 😉

I doubt very much that the pings you hear are from submarines, one of the primary objectives is to stay covert, dashing around pinging their sonars willy nilly kinda defeats that. Saying that though, it may be sonars from a small boat or fishermen, fish finders. I doubt very much they’re listening for you, but some Black Sabbath tunes may provide some clear water around you if they were 😉
I knew you‘d deny it all, man mate – but Black Sabbath it is!

Welcome to the community and enjoy diving outside of the 1 ATA bubble!

So I’m recently new to scuba, 2023 is my starting year. I figure this will be a nice little hobby as I push towards retirement and having read numerous posts on the board, I thought I would join, so Hi to all you divers out there and thanks for sharing your wisdom with those of us finding our fins.
I was on the Narwhal back in the late 80s, and I just got certified this past weekend.

Welcome to SB. Since you now live in Colombia, check out Malpelo once you gain some experience diving in open ocean. I was there in July 2021 (see my trip video, below). I’ll be going back there again with @scubadada this coming July.

Welcome to SB. Since you now live in Colombia, check out Malpelo once you gain some experience diving in open ocean. I was there in July 2021 (see my trip video, below). I’ll be going back there again with @scubadada this coming July.

Thanks Dan, it looks awesome. Great video too 👍

Reactions: Dan
You will enjoy the feeling of weightlesness while diving, as opposed to standing upright and walking inside sub. Y have never been inside a sub, but did do a hull survey for magnetic mines while in the U.S. Naval School for Underwater Swimmers in 1967. That was actually a fun dive, and I took a roll of black and white film with my Nikonos underwater camera. I took the film to a drug store for development, but never picked it up. The reason…I was unsure whether photography was allowed for that dive. I just left the photos in the drug store when I graduated and went on to another school as a USAF Pararescue trainee.

SeaRat

but did do a hull survey for magnetic mines
Hull searches we called them, necklace search also, half or full necklace search, divers on a 'buddy line' to cover whole or half the hull, one side at a time for the half necklace search, night and day, no lights allowed or camera, for one, you need both hands, and you guys know why we did not use lights.
Such fun.

Back
Top Bottom