Affordable April tropical destinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghostdiver

Reaction score
My wife/dive buddy and I really need to take a tropical dive vacation this April, however, we also bought gear recently (big financial hit as everyone here knows) :(, so we are trying to find someplace affordable. We are leaving from Washington D.C. so I think only the Carribean is possible. The cheapest I have found so far is Coz, but we got certified there so I would rather not go back yet. Any help is appreciated!=-)

Have you thought of the Bahamas? That ought to be affordable to get to from DC. I've not been there but I hear the diving is very good and everyone I know has had good experiences with hotel/restaurant/dive ops.

How much do you call affordable and how far are you prepared to travel?

I have found that diving in the carribbean is quite a lot more expensive than many US dream destinations. I paid $100 a day to dive in Turks & Caicos, I know the Caymans is pricey. Barbados wasn't cheap and Tobago was lower but still $60 a day.

OK these are Feb prices and April will be a bit higher because of school holidays. But at the moment you can get a 2 week package staying BB at the 4* Intercontinental in Sharm, Egypt for $600 including flights from London. You can get buy one get one free 6 day dive packages this means that two people could dive 2/3 dives a day for 12 days on the day boats on some stunning reefs for just $500 total. That works out to be less than $10 a dive.

So for around $850 a person plus the cost of a ticket Washington to London you could really go for a major dive vacation and be the envy of all your fellow US divers if you are prepared to put in the flight hours.

Neil

How about Akumal (Mexico)? You can get a 1bdrm condo on the beach for around $100 nt, some even less. Dives are under $30 each. We stayed at Vista del Mar and dove with Akumal Dive Adventures. Both were great. It's a very laid back, relaxed area. About 7 restaruants, 2 bars, 3 grocery stores, 5-6 other shops and mostly private homes, villas and small condo buildings. Nice reefs, a day trip to Coz if you want, and also the cenotes are within 15 minutes. You fly to Cancun and then head about an hr south. Check out www.akumaldiveadventures.com, www.akumalinfo.com and www.locogringo.com.

Which UK travel agencies offer the best scuba deals?
Thanks!!

You can stay in a bungalow on the beach,for $100us a month
in Thailand.

Rent a motor bike for $81us per month

Eat for$5us per day

And if thats not cheap enough try Utilla

Have fun and tell us about your trip when you get home.

Al

Hi Ghost diver,
I've recently seen an add for air from Chi town to St. Lucia r/t for $342. There must be some specials to the carribean from D.C. running for the future.
There have been quite a number of flights to Florida at reduced rates as well.
Pennecamp can be quite good (especially if the gulf stream is in), lots of fish life.
There is always a Mex. deal going on at travel agencies, call a few and have them leave you a message if the rates are at your affordability level.

Dive Safe,
Caymanaic :wink:

My wife and I got 7 nights with unlimited beach diving and roundtrip Air Jamaica to Bonaire for just under $2000. If you want anything cheaper than Cozumel, you're probably going to have to be able to drive to the Keys.

If you are willing to travel then there are a huge number of destinations available... Red Sea, South Africa, Thailand... (Not alll tropical, but pretty warm :) ) At the cost per dive listed here then if you can get a reasonable flight it will work out cheaper or about the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom