Affidavit of Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, this works for your home waters. Not so well for traveling.

I think he means sign them off for the card. That is why I have an AOW card instead of an OWD card. I know a guy who got his AOW by taking an instructor wreck diving.

I expect this is not true.

It is absolutely true. His OW card didn't tell anything about his solo winter wreck diving but an instructor at the local dive shop wanted to see some, and offered an AOW card in return.

Certs dont guarantee skill, but neither does number of years diving. Just because some one has been diving for years does not mean they are using the best practices or are even aware of modern diving knowledge. There is no way an affidavit would hold up in court, all a lawyer would need is a technical diver to go on the stand and point out everything that went wrong and the operator would have no case. I see all the time guys giving the hook up and just signing guys off because they have been diving forever with out actually making them meet standards. Many things have changed in the diving world in the past couple of decades and our knowledge is still growing. It was not that long ago folks were diving 250ft on air on unbalanced regulators because it was the best they had. Now we know there are better ways, we have better equipment, and we have better methods. Yeah putting another dollar in the dive machine suck and another cert card doesn't make you a good diver, but just passing a guy along because he has been lucky for the past 1000 dives does not help either. This goes for the instructors that stop studying as soon as they get their instructor cert.

It is absolutely true. His OW card didn't tell anything about his solo winter wreck diving but an instructor at the local dive shop wanted to see some, and offered an AOW card in return.

I issued an AOW card once for a Royal Navy diver. He made a resort course dive with me, and I knew he wasn't uncertified, he just wasn't certified. We did a skills review, and I saw his logbook for dives 9990-10150. Lots of night, deep, etc. dives. At the time I had fewer than 1,000 dives. I did an OW class for his bride to be, and issued him an AOW card.

I issued an AOW card once for a Royal Navy diver. He made a resort course dive with me, and I knew he wasn't uncertified, he just wasn't certified. We did a skills review, and I saw his logbook for dives 9990-10150. Lots of night, deep, etc. dives. At the time I had fewer than 1,000 dives. I did an OW class for his bride to be, and issued him an AOW card.
So now you are on public record as violating standards. Cool.

I think he means sign them off for the card. That is why I have an AOW card instead of an OWD card. I know a guy who got his AOW by taking an instructor wreck diving.
I did indeed

So now you are on public record as violating standards. Cool.

Sounds to me that Wookie was exercising good judgement and exceptional common sense. Blindly meeting "standards" has given us thousands of AOW divers that are not worth a crap. Personally I would prefer to have, and I am happy to see, someone get AOW certified based on their in-depth experience and expertise rather than five dives following OW training. Who would I chose for a dive buddy? Not even a close contest--the Royal Navy diver, certified or not.

Sounds to me that Wookie was exercising good judgement and exceptional common sense. Blindly meeting "standards" has given us thousands of AOW divers that are not worth a crap. Personally I would prefer to have, and I am happy to see, someone get AOW certified based on their in-depth experience and expertise rather than five dives following OW training. Who would I chose for a dive buddy? Not even a close contest--the Royal Navy diver, certified or not.

:thumb:

This, to me, is the biggest problem we have with this super-litigious, rules-based world. We will not let people use judgement anymore! Did the person display the skills and certification necessary to be granted the certificate? Isn't that what we are supposed to be trusting instructors to do????

Was the guy diving solo? Because that's the only scenario where liability might be a primary consideration.

Otherwise, you have to consider the technical dive team/buddies/guide that they guy will be joining. An open-water cert, even with 000's of dives, doesn't indicate the diver will be capable of safely integrating with other divers to conduct the dive. Skills aside, there needs to be some level of standardized protocols and procedures.

Training and experience need to be balanced. One without the other indicates a noteworthy potential for disaster.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom