affects of diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frosty

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ladies my dear wife has asked a question I really wouldn't have a clue about.She says every time we go away on holiday and she scuba dives her period is delayed. Is there some actual medical evidence to support this?

I honestly don't think diving has any effect on when the periods will occur.
I never noticed anything like that on me in quite a few years of diving anyway, but that could be only me... and has never heard anything about it from other female co-workers.

That said, stress, anxiety can delay the periods. If she has a tendency to be nervous before diving, even just a bit, that might explain it.
If you go away to destination that are a bit far, jet-lag and new rythme can be an explanation as well.

Basically, a lots of things can delay periods specially stress and rythme changes.

I've never heard that scuba diving (specifically) would do this, nor have I experienced it in my short time diving. I have, however, had this happen on holidays in general just because of changes in my diet and normal exercise regime. Eating a lot more/less, exercising a lot more/less, sleeping, stress, travel, etc. can all have an effect on a woman's cycle.

Traveling can certainly shake up an ordinarily and predictable cycle. As echoed in previous posts, sleep, stress, travel etc. can have some effect. It is common, if not expected that having a surgical procedure will trigger your period. I never understood this phenomenon since there are no hormones involved with the anesthetic, but there are triggers and some we can figure out, others are a complete mystery. I have heard that diving can both accelerate or delay cycles. I always pack extra product regardless of predictability and consistency. Several years ago I made the mistake of traveling to a miniscule island only to have Mother Nature arrive unannounced. It was difficult enough communicating with the tiny convenience store my needs, but when they handed me the goods, I cringed at the King Kong size of the product. After that, I am always prepared:)

Back
Top Bottom