Aeris Air Link Octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mama Mynet

Contributor
Reaction score
Just saw the Aeris Air Link Octo. The premise is great (to streamline and integrate so that there is one less tube). Has anyone ever tried it? Is it something that YOU would want for yourself?

I'm starting to buy my gear little by little and set up my budget for purchases. Any input is helpful for me...

BTW, if I were to invest in something like this it would be for cold/warm dives in multiple types of environments for recreational use.

Thanks for any input. You'll be seeing quite a few posts from me in the forthcoming months... I'm new to this and I have a tendency to ask a ton of questions.

Hola, Mama!

Aeris is not the only manufacturer to make this type of integrated octo/inflator. To be honest, there are more cons than pros to getting them.

If you were using one of these units when your buddy got into an OOA situation, you would have to donate your primary (the one in your mouth) to h/h and use that combo unit. This presents two main problems:

1) A short hose for you buddy to use.
2) Purging the BC of air while you are breathing off the octo/inflator.

Can you see the problems with this set up?

Truthfully, either the traditional octo setup, or a redundant system like a pony bottle is a much better investment than the combo octo/inflator.

In the end you have to ask yourself if YOU would want to breath off that setup, if YOU were the OOA diver.

Take care,

SubMariner:
Hola, Mama!

Aeris is not the only manufacturer to make this type of integrated octo/inflator. To be honest, there are more cons than pros to getting them.

If you were using one of these units when your buddy got into an OOA situation, you would have to donate your primary (the one in your mouth) to h/h and use that combo unit. This presents two main problems:

1) A short hose for you buddy to use.
2) Purging the BC of air while you are breathing off the octo/inflator.

Can you see the problems with this set up?

Truthfully, either the traditional octo setup, or a redundant system like a pony bottle is a much better investment than the combo octo/inflator.

In the end you have to ask yourself if YOU would want to breath off that setup, if YOU were the OOA diver.

Take care,

ABSOLUTELY! While practicing in the pool an OOA situation my BC malfunctioned and while my buddy and I were trying to break surface I ended up with the Octo popping out of my mouth and I sank like a stone. Thank god my instructor was right there and gave me his air. And that was "just" in a pool! I don't even want to consider what would have happened if I was out in the middle of nowhere... Ayyyy

It sounds like basic is the way to go for BC's and gear. The more complicated the BC and gear get the more complicated the complications get!

Mama Mynet:
It sounds like basic is the way to go for BC's and gear. The more complicated the BC and gear get the more complicated the complications get!

:rofl: Very true! :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom