Aeris 500AI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karen1

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking at the Aeris 500AI and Suunto Cobra. I've found lots of feedback about the Cobra, but barely anything about the Aeris 500AI. Anyone have experience with this computer? Good experiences? Complaints?

Thanks, your input is appreciated!

-Karen

I got a 500 AI a few weeks ago and it's a pretty nice unit. I really like the large digits and large display and backlighting, which makes it very easy to read in all conditions. It works fine, and is easy to use.

I have the software, too, and the download function works ok but I feel it should do more. I can't add dives to the log, so I have 2 computer logs, pre & post 500AI, and I wish I could merge them. It doesn't log air consumption rate, which I would like to compare from dive to dive. But the basic function and charting is decent. I prefer the horizontal layout, with the compass on the long side, to inline units like the Oceanic.

The price, through Liesurepro, was really nice, too.

I've read about reliability problems, but mine has been fine and I am happy with it.

Aloha,

Jonathan

Can we say depends? The thing to ask yourself is what kind of diving are you going to be doing? When looking for a computer I ask myself that question: what type of diving am I going to be doing with it. Then I start looking at models. No, not the buxom blonds and buff studs in the scuba ads, but the mathematical model the computer uses. The Aeris line of computers uses the same model as the DSAT tables (ie PADI, SSI, and others), while Suuto uses the Reduced Bubble Gradient model. Another one to look at in terms of models, would be a computer that incorporate the ZH-L8 ADT model. This has been toted as the most advanced model by many proponents. Personally, I dive with a Suunto Vyper, the non-air version of the Cobra. Should my diving activities take me beyond its capabilities, such as using a Rebreather, I would purchase a new computer.

Safe diving and welcome to the world of computers :)

On paper when I started looking at computers both the Cobra and 500AI were at the top of the list. I have no real complants with my 500AI other than the volume of the audible alarm, to soft. The software that I picked up is adequate nothing special but works.
I like the large display screen and ease of navigation while diving with the information that is given.

The biggest factor that influenced me was the price I looked and found a 500AI for about $200 less than a Cobra (goes a long way towards other equiptment)

I just want to echo JS and say "I am happy with it"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom