AE/AA Flights San Juan to Bonaire advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karen, just re-read your original post and saw that you also asked about bare minimum packing. Bonaire is a very casual island and you will need a minimum of clothes. Shorts and tanks or t-shirts for trips to town or the grocery store during the day. I travel to dive sites with just an old t shirt over my bathing suit. Depending on where we are eating dinner I wear shorts,capris or a skirt and t-shirt or nice tank top. The only shoes I ever wear are my flip flops -- a ratty old pair to dive sites and my "dress up" ones for evening! Some people like long pants because of bugs but that has never been an issue for me. You will want something with long sleeves for the flight from San Juan as the Eagle is either really hot or really cold.

karenpadi:
I am flying through San Juan to Bonaire on AA (booked with a group) in March. Based on earlier threads, it seems that I am setting myself for lost luggage/being bumped.

I am a pure "vacation diver" and will be renting all but mask/snorkel/fins from the dive operator. My question is, would it be worth the extra trouble for me to not check any luggage (i.e., only take a large carry-on)? This would probably mean buying fins in Bonaire, but eh, I don't like the ones I have anyway.

Has this flight improved at all since the posts last fall?

Any bare minimum packing suggestions for Bonaire? (sample toiletries, I know...)

Also, I have a five hour layover in San Juan. Any suggestions? I could just read a book, but when in Rome...

Karen, just returned from my 7th trip...never had a problem going through SJ (knock on wood). I spent 6 weeks in San Juan 3 years ago and subsequently wrote a little blurb on tips and things to do on the long layover.

http://www.bonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/29/255870.html?1147724205

Enjoy Bonaire, and be sure to buy Susan Porter's latest edition of Bonaire Shore Diving Made easy, www.bsdme.info. I dove 3 new sites this last trip from new info in the book.

I would suggest buying hard soled booties and fins to go with them. Carib Inn on island has a good selection of booties. The entrances to the shore dive sites have a lot of hard coral rubble, rocks, algae and it is not to be done barefoot if you buy full foot fins.

You might want to check out other areas of www.BonaireTalk.com, there is a wealth of information there on the questions you have:D

I fly through San Juan all the time to Caribbean and South American destinations - never had a problem. CN

I fly through SJU frequently, and when I have a layover of a couple of hours, I go downstairs at the airport to the cabstand (the attendants will give you ticket) and ask for a cab to Isla Verde (?). I think that is the name of the busy boulevard that runs parallel to the beach. It's only about a 5-7 minute drive, and you can get something to eat, hang out on a beautiful beach, and still make it back with plenty of time to spare before you catch your flight. There are lots of good beach bars right on the shore. There's also plenty of cabs so you don't have to worry about chasing one down when it's time to head back. I have flown AA/ AE seven times this past year, all heading to Nevis via SJU. I've never had any problems with lost baggage or bad service, although "island time" can be problematic while waiting on the tarmac. Have fun.

I agree with scubatexastony (hey, I'm from TX, too!). I prefer going through customs in SJU rather than in Miami. Less people flying through San Juan, plus AA has ushered me to the front of the security and customs line more than once if my connection time is tight.

as we speak. Hope all the "never had a problem" posts rub off on us. We'll let you know. :popcorn:

Ted and the Nautlius (Rocklin CA) group

We made it pretty much on time with no lost luggage. Good advice about getting out of the SJ airport; going to Isla Verde by cab. Barranchia was a good restaurant. Have a pina colada.

Ted and Nautilus group

Happy to report our group back home with no major problems.

One thing we learned is that the Bonaire security people have slightly different rules (or intreptations?) than US TSA. Our 69 YO group grandma goes on 6-8 overseas trips per year and lately has made it thru U.S. TSA many times with fingernail clippers, tweezers and small scissors in her carry-on (she knows the U.S. TSA rules). However, this time all that was confiscated by Bonaire screeners as we were going home. :no :shakehead

Ted and the Nautilus group (Rocklin CA)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom