Advise on compact strobe + grip (TG-7 & PT-059)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GustavSan

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I just bought the TG-7 and the PT-059 housing for my upcoming dive & snorkeling trip in Sabah.

I am looking for a compact strobe/grip setup but can't really decide as there are many choices in different price levels.

Is the Sea And Sea Flash YS-01 Solis a good starting point for me? What plate + arm/grip should I consider to use with it? I was hoping to keep size to a minimum as I need to travel light.

Any better alternatives I should look into? I think I have budget for the YS-01 Solis but not sure if I want to spend much more than that.

What kind of pictures do you want to take? Macro? Reef Scenes" Wrecks? Fish?
Do you think you might move to two strobes or a strobe and a video light, or just one strobe (that is, do you need a one-sided or a two sided tray)?
Ae you inerested in a "locline" type of flexible arm for your strobe, or do you want arms/balls/clamps?

For strobes, the S&S would not be my first choice, but rather the INON S-220.
See these articles:
However, if you are only interested in macro, then the Backscatter MF-2 is extremely nice. It is just not very powerful.

Thanks a bunch. I am going to check out those articles.

As for your counter-questions :), my first reply would be Reef Scenes 100%....but I know that most of the sites I will visit probably not have the best reef conditions. Most dive sites in Malaysia cannot be compared to dive sites in Sulawesi or Ambon, at least not the ones I will visit this year. That said, though I am not particularly interested in marco shots, I do like seeing them afterwards as a reminder of what great critters I saw. It might also simply be the best way to get some crisp pictures with my setup, as I know that the TG-7 should do great with macro.

Is there any solution that caters to the both? :).

As for arms and such. I think I'd prefer a flexible arm, but mainly as this would mean less loose parts to travel around with in my mind. I would not mind starting out with 1 strobe, but with the option the expand at a later stage should I really get the hang of it.

Back
Top Bottom