Advice & suggestions for first time liveaboard?

Where should I go for first liveaboard?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess that could be said about most of the places on the list depending on the area you get dropped? We were thinking about the Scubaspa Yang, which seems like it caters to all levels

A friend of ours went with Scubaspa and raves about it!

We went with Carpe vitae in 2013 and had a good time, but yes: lots of current and I would not say it’s good for beginners- we did not have great viz and just hanging on with reef hooks in a current, that threatens to rip of your mask is not that fun (we did see lots and lots of sharks) even the manta cleaning stations can be challenging for a beginner- no current, but you need to stay still for a long time for the mantas to come close and if you can’t you risk ruining the dive for other divers in your group (we had this happen once).
TBH I liked Thailand better. But that might change by next week;-)

Philippines: we did Malapascua and Panglao in April and while we liked the diving and most of it would be suitable for a beginner (except Monad shoal for the thresher sharks), I would still say Thailand is much better suited, for a beginner and for first LOB.

My opinion go with a GBR LOB or one in Similians. You can work your way up on quality and difficulty. After this trip you could do Komodo or Raja Amat or a bunch of land based diving in the Phillipines or Indonesia. By working your way up the scale of diving quality you will tend to be on an upward scale of positive experience, instead of going "hey that's wasn't so hot Raja Amat was way better".

3rd for ‘wait for raja ampat’ Save the best for later and then really get the most out of it... I’m doing 34 days on liveaboard in indo in 2021 with 3 days shoretime inbetween :)

Hey @Wiggsy, I've been reading some of your posts in other threads and being from Aus was wondering if you might have any advice on my OP?

Also @Dan I've read a lot of your content in other posts as well, seems like you are a well travelled LOB'er. Would you have any salient advice?

You have received pretty good suggestions & advises from others already. I’ll just add a few comments.

I have been to Code Hole, Lizard Island, Coral Sea with Mike Ball’s Spoilsport LOB. That’ll be pretty good for first timer, providing you hire DM to guide you & your buddy. I think the 1st one is free of charge. Just talk to their operation manager for more details.

I have been to Thailand, but never dived there. However I was told by some of DM’s who have worked there, Similan would be the best one to dive in Thailand.

I’m Indonesian living in USA. So, if I want to travel half around the world to dive in South East Asia, it will be Indonesia, as it’s not only the best one there (per my bias opinion, LOL), but also, I can visit friends & relatives at same time. Therefore, I can’t speak about Philippines, because I have never been diving there.

From looking at the votes, so far, Maldives & Raja Ampat (RA) received the most votes. I can see reasons why. There are many ways to dive there. From beginner to advance, with or without current diving. You can always opt out if you are not ready for current diving. Both places offer good ratio of 4 divers / guide. Cruise Director (CD) like Egoi of Blue Manta, would group you and your buddy with similar experience and air consumption lead by a DM that will taylor the diving site, timing, approach, etc., accordingly.

February is in good diving season for RA. If you decide to take the big plunge and start with the best one, make sure you consult with the liveaboard operation manager, like Max Hand of White Manta Diving, to make sure CD would fit you with the right group. Private guide in RA is a lot cheaper than in GBR.

I have arranged a private guide for one of my beginner dive buddy on Pearl of Papua once for Rp.1,000,000 ($70) / day. That would be $35/diver for both of you. However, I think 4 divers / DM ratio is good & safe enough to dive there without private guide. Save your money. Just listen closely to the dive briefing & stick closely with DM during your entire dives. Then you should be fine. After a couple of days of 4 dives / day, you will be comfortable & confident enough to go for your next challenge like current diving.

Good luck & bon voyage! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom