Advice Required

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

desiredbard

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All

I am taking my shots with a sony P100 in the rip-off scuba casing from the same manufacturer.

The Flash is right and above of the lens...this results in pictures with a dark-black left bottom corner.
Any "cheap" solution to this (I think I know the answer but hey)

Anyone knows of someone who does custom build housing, something with a couple of permanent torches on, as to kill two birds with one stone, not having a good torch yet?

What are my options with an external strobe that is triggered on the inbuold flash and how is this exactly called so I can google it....

Regards
Bas

You have me real confused, are you saying you have a Sony housing and a corner of your photos is not getting lite? I guess if you are close enough to your subject this could happen (the lens could block the flash). This has never happened to me in 5 years of pictures with Sony housings.

Short answer is just crop the shot :).

Its the shadow of the housing. The only thing that I can recommend is to get more distance on the subject, or if possible get an inexpensive flash. There are some good ones out there for not much $$.

I don't believe there is any real good solution with your setup unless you go to a proper strobe setup. Part of the housing (probably the lens port) is blocking the on-board flash. You can either turn the flash off altogether (which would eliminate the shadow) and shoot ambient light (but your results will vary depending on depth, available light, etc. Zooming in with your camera and/or moving back will help reduce the shadowing, but this introduces other issues - primarily greater distance to the subject to get the same framing. This means the light will be filtered more and more particulate matter in front of the lens.

Hi
Sorry for not being clear, It is either the shade of the housing or being to close upon the target (The cone of light coming from the flash does not light the full photographed area)

But yes I am looking int external/additional flash options. Preferably not to expensive
Any links suggestions welcome

I am photographing a littlebit closer up, Irish waters are not that clear

here is an example: http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=1844

Back
Top Bottom