Advice on square video case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gsk3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi folks,

I just bought a Flip Mino that I'm looking forward to getting underwater. Have a few questions that I'm wondering if someone with relevant experience can comment on:

-What thickness acrylic is necessary? Big video cameras seem to use at least 3/8". This one using molding but a smaller case (in fact, the exact same size) uses 3mm for most of it: DIY flip minoHD quality underwater case
3mm seems too thin to me, but I can see how with molding (so no seams except the gasket) on a very small case (so not that much force and the walls which provide structural integrity aren't that far from the weakest point in the center), it might work.

-Design thoughts? I was planning on gluing all the sides together except the narrow end on the bottom, and then the narrow end would be the gasket-sealing opening. I'd figure out a way to mount a 1/4-20 threaded rod into the bottom piece. So to put it together, you'd just screw the camera onto the threaded rod and slide the whole thing up into the case. This provides less access, but a much smaller surface for failures to occur. But that instructables with the molded case has me tempted now, and there would be a lot less gluing involved....

-O-ring. He says to just go to a machine shop. I was thinking instead I'd get some rubber sheet and custom cut it to the space I want to fill, then compress it with the catches or bolting mechanism. Will that work?

-Any thoughts on cheap wide-angle lenses for this? Surplus optics are so incredibly cheap but I don't have the design experience to come up with my own. Wet mount lenses are super-expensive. If I knew I could make one but it was going to need to go inside, I'd design in extra room for it....

Thanks!
Ari

Back
Top Bottom