Advice on repairing Mako air compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

atmerritt

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, so, I'm trying to help out my instructor/LDS owner with his compressor, and I could probably use a few words of advice. I'd like to thank in advance anyone who reads through all this. The unit is a Mako, model number 5406BS-C. Appears to be a Mako 5406E block. It was reconditioned (whatever that entails) before he purchased it around 5 years ago. Since then only about 450 hours have accumulated on the hour meter. Previous number of hours is unknown.

When the compressor is powered on, it only runs for about 5-8 seconds--as soon as it begins to build air pressure in the 4th stage, it shuts down. The entire time it's running, the oil pressure gauge does not rise at all (specified oil pressure on the unit is 1000 psig). The unit is equipped with a low oil pressure shutdown switch, so at least that's working as intended. A compressor technician came out last week, disconnected the oil discharge line from where it enters the pressure regulator, and found no oil discharging from the line with the unit running (I did the same). He quoted somewhere north of $1000 to replace the oil pump.

Today, I removed the oil pump from the unit, as well as the cover plate exposing the end of the crankshaft that drives the pump. For those unfamiliar with the unit, there is an eccentric cam on the end of the crankshaft that pushes up and down on the end of the pump to power it, no gears or chains to drive it. Anyway, I found the bearing that's pressed onto the end of the crankshaft, which actually makes contact with and drives the oil pump, laying inside the chamber behind the cover plate. I checked everything for damage and found none, pressed the bearing back on, reinstalled the oil pump, and turned the compressor by hand to make sure the pump was being driven through its full stroke and everything turned freely. Then I reinstalled the cover plate, refilled the oil, started the unit...and still no oil pressure. Removed the cover plate again to make sure everything was still in place and it was. And, still no discharge from the high-pressure oil line, before the pressure regulator.

At this point I'm almost stumped, except for one idea. I'm thinking maybe the pump is just full of air and needs to be primed, so tomorrow I plan to disconnect the oil discharge line from the regulator (located about 6-10" above the pump), and use a hand-held vacuum pump to pull oil through the pump and up the line and hopefully suck any air out of the pump, while turning the unit a few turns by hand to suck out any pockets. But if that doesn't work, I really won't have a clue. I just have a hard time believing that the oil pump failed, because as I discovered today it wasn't even being driven.

So, getting to the point, is anyone here familiar with these things? Anything I might be missing, or any pointers? Do the oil pumps usually fail on these? Thanks in advance to anyone who might have some insight.

I'm a tech. They absolutely must be primed. You will also likely have to adjust the regulator. Which, if you did all that, won't be a big deal.

Survival Air Systems in Texas used to have the Universal Manual online, which goes through the procedure to prime the oil pump.

I do have the universal manual, thankfully, but I'm not seeing anything in there about initial priming of the pump. I do see a procedure for flushing the oil pressure regulator valve (apparently done when the oil pressure fluctuates too much), but my current issue is no oil flow from the pump at all. Am I missing the priming procedure somewhere? Do you think my method will sufficiently prime the pump?

I do intend to adjust the regulator as well, once I get some real pressure to it. I know that it has been turned in one direction or the other during troubleshooting, before I started working on it, and will definitely need adjustment.

Thanks very much for checking out my post and replying!

So I read the universal manual again, and what I was thinking about was section 3-6 and 4-2. You should have oil pressure if the bearing is back in place and you have oil in the sump. A guess is that the regulator is backed off to the point that the oil pressure is just not coming up.

I would turn the regulator in one full turn and press the go button. If still no pressure, I would carefully measure the tolerances in the oil pump. Why did the bearing fall off? I've never seen that before.

Yeah, the bearing just falling off is not something I would ever think would happen. Especially to a unit with less than 500 hours since reconditioning. Anyway, today I'm going to attempt to prime the pump, close the pressure regulator a bit, and see what happens. I'll report back. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom