Advice on drysuit fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bluefishy

Registered
Reaction score
I’m looking to buy a drysuit and a lot of specific manufacturers sizes are either too tall for my width or expensive to have made to measure (at this stage - ultimately I’ll save up for next year and get one). So I’m looking at second hand suits but in order to narrow down potential fit before I arrange to go round and try on, I could do with some advice:

- height - I’m 165cm so what’s the acceptable variance - if someone who is 175cm is selling a suit, is that going to be too tall for me or is it useable for a while?

- margin in width - how much space between me and the suit...I know it depends on how thick undergarments are but generally what kind of dimensions is your drysuit on the chest and waist/hip/seat in relation to your actual measurements?

- boot size - I’ve heard some people go at least one size up for thick socks, some people even two sizes....obviously people my width tend to be taller with bigger feet so would two sizes up be ok?

Just trying to gauge how forgiving I can be re measurements either side of my actual measurements so I don’t waste anyone’s time turning up to try on or buy something waaaay too tall...

Thanks!

Try visiting a BARE dealer. BARE has a large number of sizes and most shops will be able to help you find something off the shelf that will fit you. (even if they have to order it for you to try on)

R..

Thanks but can’t seem to find a dealer in the U.K. that carries Bare membrane suits.

. . .
- margin in width - how much space between me and the suit...I know it depends on how thick undergarments are but generally what kind of dimensions is your drysuit on the chest and waist/hip/seat in relation to your actual measurements?
. . .

If you're unsure, then to buy a second-hand suit you will simply have to try it on before buying, wearing the undergarments you plan to use. I would recommend against a second-hand suit unless you're able to try it on, and with those undergarments.

When you get around to buying a new suit, work with a dealer--don't try to order online using a form. I gave my measurements to the dealer. The dealer asked what weight undergarments I planned on using. Only someone familiar with a particular brand and how their sizes relate to undergarment weight can answer this question reliably. If there is no UK dealer for a brand you're interested in, you can work by phone or email with a dealer in another country. I actually bought mine from a European dealer. But I have to believe there are many brands that UK dealers would be glad to help you size properly.

Reactions: Zef
I spent a year mulling about buying a drysuit and just picked one up a handful of weeks ago. After trying a few on and having countless discussions with the divers in the 2 clubs I am a member of, plus the shop staff at 6 different shops, plus reading through countless posts on Scubaboard, I decided on an Aqualung Fusion Bullet. Each size is designed to fit a range of body types/sizes by being cut a bit oversize and the outer skin keeps the suite form fitting and streamlined to the body.

The bullet outer skin has 1mm neoprene throughout and has pockets on both legs. If not having pockets is not an issue for you, I would recommend getting the Sport skin as it is lycra spandex and does the same job as the neoprene skin but is lighter and takes less time to dry. The tradeoff is the sport skin does not have pockets.

Also, if you are interested in the bullet skin, I would recommend a 2017 or earlier model. For 2018, Aqualung has reduced the amount of "gatortech" material from the lower legs, buttocks, shoulders, and forearms, to just the lower legs. They also discontinued the removable forearm and lower leg pads that came on the 2017 and earlier models. They claim the lack of this material makes the suit easier to put on / take off, and makes it so they did not have to raise the cost of the suit. To me it seems like less bang for the buck. I did not realize they had made these changes until after I made my purchase, and since I was given a 15% discount and a free pair of fusion boots, it would seem rather rude of me to take back the 2018 model suit to go find a 2017 model suit elsewhere. I may end up looking for Sport skin for those times I don't have time to wait for the neoprene skin to dry such as when traveling.

It is a really easy suit to dive...I used it for the first time in open water last weekend (+3 times in the pool prior to venturing outside). My dive partner commented that for me being a first time drysuit user, he was surprised how in-control of my buoyancy I was, especially at the 5.5 meter safety stop at the end of the dive with 40 bar left in the tank.

I had 3 requirements for a drysuit:
1. Trilaminate type material
2. Front entry zip....I don't like having to rely on anyone while getting my gear setup, and I dived with a group a couple of years ago where one person was diving with a back entry suit and his partner failed to close the zipper the last centimeter...this resulted in a flooded suit. The guy had a helluva time getting up the stairs from the waters edge to the parking lot at the rim of the quarry.
3. Self-replaceable seals.

The Fusion Bullet I purchased came with Aqualung's breathable aircore laminate material (think gore-tex) and Si Tech's wrist and neck ring system with silicone seals. I pick up a spare set of seals tomorrow evening to keep in my save-a-dive kit in case I accidentally/negligently tear one of the seals.

I have yet to read a poor review of the Fusion drysuits. I am totally happy with my suit and look forward to diving it more in the near future.

Happy hunting.
-Z

Last edited:
Try visiting a BARE dealer. BARE has a large number of sizes and most shops will be able to help you find something off the shelf that will fit you. (even if they have to order it for you to try on)

R..

It was explained to me that Bare changed the angle of their front entry zippers a year or so ago, and this has been a contributing factor to the issue that people have experienced with their zippers pulling out. This was at a shop in the Netherlands that sells Bare, Santi, and 4th Element. Perhaps true...perhaps not.

-Z

It was explained to me that Bare changed the angle of their front entry zippers a year or so ago, and this has been a contributing factor to the issue that people have experienced with their zippers pulling out. This was at a shop in the Netherlands that sells Bare, Santi, and 4th Element. Perhaps true...perhaps not.

-Z

I haven't heard this and I haven't heard anyone around me complaining about it.

What I did hear was someone from Dufare say that BARE used a batch of crappy zippers a couple of years ago that were prone to leaking. Those have all been replaced in the new models.

R..

I haven't heard this and I haven't heard anyone around me complaining about it.

What I did hear was someone from Dufare say that BARE used a batch of crappy zippers a couple of years ago that were prone to leaking. Those have all been replaced in the new models.

R..

They mentioned that there were quite a number of T-zips that Bare did not properly sew and or glue into the suits well and the stress put on the zipper due to the angle they chose to install them at put undue stress on the connection points when self-donning the suits. He said lots of suits came back for repairs because of this.

I am only parroting information as I don't have much experience with drysuits, especially with Bare. Perhaps they have this issue sorted. A member of a club I dive with has a Bare suit and has issue with seam leakage and has advised to purchase a different brand.

YMMV,

-Z

Thanks Z but that’s a perfect illustration of my issue. For the width I’d have to go to a 3XL or even 4XL fusion bullet. But then it’s sized for 6ft plus. I’m 5 ft 6. There’s no point saving up and spending £1300 on a new suit that shape/size - I might as well get a made to measure one. Plus that means no diving for 6 months whilst I save up. So my option is a looking and hoping for a second hand under £500 at the moment. Long term, yes, I will get a quality suit that is exactly right for me.

Hence my question - if I buy a second hand suit that’s been made for someone wide and shorter...but it is say only 3-4 inches too tall rather than nearly a foot too big, is this wearable? Particularly if it’s a telescopic suit anyway...

Thanks Z but that’s a perfect illustration of my issue. For the width I’d have to go to a 3XL or even 4XL fusion bullet. But then it’s sized for 6ft plus. I’m 5 ft 6. There’s no point saving up and spending £1300 on a new suit that shape/size - I might as well get a made to measure one. Plus that means no diving for 6 months whilst I save up. So my option is a looking and hoping for a second hand under £500 at the moment. Long term, yes, I will get a quality suit that is exactly right for me.

Hence my question - if I buy a second hand suit that’s been made for someone wide and shorter...but it is say only 3-4 inches too tall rather than nearly a foot too big, is this wearable? Particularly if it’s a telescopic suit anyway...

I understand....but think about what you are asking. You have a specific body morphology issue that off-the-rack suits don't accommodate. You will have an even tougher time finding something that addresses your fit concerns on the used market unless you are buying from someone with similar body dimensions as you and they had their suit made to measure. If you are going to hunt on the used market then you just need to accept that the suit will be either longer, or wider, or baggier, or the opposite in one dimension or the other...that is just something you will have to accept until you decide to pull the trigger on buying the customized suit that you want.

In direct answer to your question: "Hence my question - if I buy a second hand suit that’s been made for someone wide and shorter...but it is say only 3-4 inches too tall rather than nearly a foot too big, is this wearable? Particularly if it’s a telescopic suit anyway..."

The answer is yes it will be wearable, but how well it fits is subjective and will be up to you. It almost seems like you have found "good enough" but are holding out for "near perfect"....that is only wise if you luck-out and find that golden goose egg of a suit on the used market...otherwise it is a fools errand. But this is only one man's opinion.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom