Advice on Dominican

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am looking to get certified for a trip to the Dominican Republic. I will be going in August and ws wondering if it is a good place to scuba dive. I don't know if I should spend my money on getting certified if the scuba is not that good over there. Does anyone have any pictures? I just need a little advice. Also how expensive is it to dive once I am in the Dominican? Also where is the best place to go once I am in the dominican?

Give John a call or an email at, www.scubafun.info/

He should be able to answer most of your questions.

CB

Where in the DR are you going ? On the north coast there is Sosua just east of Puerto Plata. The diving is OK but not that great. There are about 6 or 7 dive sites in Sosua Bay. The marine life is scarce and the coral is in bad condition, as this is still being effected by the Atlantic. Apparently the best diving is in the south east near Catalina Island. ( It's more like the carribean that we would expect. ) I was in the DR last week.

Hello...

I was in Punta Cana a few years ago.....The place is one of the most beautiful places Ive ever been....As for the diving....its the worst Ive ever been...Its a shame on the surfaces its a dream but for underwater its a train wreck...If your primary reason is to get certified, I wouldnt waste my money....if its for a romantic getaway you want then this is the place to go...

Theres my 2 cents worth....

NightRaven77

I am going to Puerto Plata. For someone who has never been diving before, would it be cool and where would you recommend that would be the best. If it is a day trip that is ok too. I will be there for 7 days. Does anyone have any other suggestions on what might be a must do while in the DR.

Thanks

I just came back from diving with Dolphin Dive Center in the Sosua Bay Resort. I started out with some very rough condition But Leslie and the crew made it all worth it. There are about 20 dive sites from walls to shallow reefs. Got alot of pictures and video. I would highly recommend them.

bherrscher:
I am looking to get certified for a trip to the Dominican Republic. I will be going in August and ws wondering if it is a good place to scuba dive. I don't know if I should spend my money on getting certified if the scuba is not that good over there. Does anyone have any pictures? I just need a little advice. Also how expensive is it to dive once I am in the Dominican? Also where is the best place to go once I am in the dominican?

A friend returned from the DR and dove with Pirates Cove. I learned to dive in the DR centuries ago and was amazed of the changes.

Uve Rath, an instructor, basically has dove the entire island and has discovered numerous new dive sites (virgin wrecks and inland cave systems similar to Mexico's). They offer technical aspects (e.g. rebreather, trimix, etc.) as well as recreational aspects.

Check out my friends video on the trip wreck diving (a little risque shot in the end) and cave diving on:

http://stingraydivers.com/movies.html

Pirates Cove's website is:

http://www.piratescovedivecenter.com/vd/en/start.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom