Advice on dive ops, locations and hotels in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chilipeppah

Reaction score
I'll be arriving Belize City and diving for 3 days (my buddy 2 days). Any advice on:

where to go establish a home base
how to get there
reputable dive operators
places to stay
dive sites

Thanks!!

I would check out Thatch Caye. Many people will try to steer you to San Pedro because that is all that they know, but the south of Belize has great diving and is close to the mainland for inland tours as well. But no nightlife and crowds to mingle in if that is what you are looking for. Ask Thatch about summer specials on diving at Thatch Caye Resort - A Handmade Resort off the coast of Belize
Placencia is also nice for diving if you want to go further south.

This looks quite interesting.

It looks lie oyu can do the popular dives Turneffe, Blue Hole from here...is there a difference in transport tim eot dive sites?

Also how owuld one get to TCR from BZE?

Thanks!

The simplest way from Belize City (Municipal airstrip or International airport) to TCR is to fly to Dangriga (using Tropic Air or Maya island Air). By prior arrangement TCR will collect you at the airstrip and take you to their private boat station for the 30-40 minute ride out to the island.

Once at TCR the best dive sites in the Southwater Caye Marine Reserve are within around 15 minutes' boat ride. And being a small operation they can be highly flexible, so if for example you get out to the island mid afternoon and fancy a quick splash that can almost certainly happen. The atolls are all a day trip away, but Turneffe and Glover's aren't really very far. Lighthouse is a bit further, but still nearer than it is to San Pedro.

Thanks, this is very helpful and making me lean towards TCR.

A couple of other questions:

1) Are there worthwhile mainland things to do and if so what would you recommend?
2) For 2 and 3 days of diving what would you recommend? Seeing whale sharks would be an major objective on at least one of the trips.
3) How many hrs do you define as a day away and would the atolls be closer from AC?

I'm no expert on whale shark viewing and I'll let others respond to that. Suffice to say that I believe most trips are two day affairs to increase your chances of seeing one. If you plan a one-day trip you may or may not be successful. But TCR have recently run such trips and they can report how successful they were.

If you look at the maps at Belize Maps, Ambergris Caye, San Pedro, Caribbean and Central American Maps it'll be clear that TCR is closer to all three atolls than is AC. Particularly so for Turneffe and Glovers (which latter is for all practical purposes inaccessible from AC), less so for Lighthouse. By "a day away" I mean a fairly early start and a return too late to do much else that day. 8am-4pm would count. If I remember correctly our outing to Lighthouse started a little before 8am and ended at dusk, around 6pm. But it was a very relaxed day, while by no stretch of the imagination can that day trip from AC be called "relaxing", regardless of which operator you choose. Of course, we didn't do the BH dive (because no-one wanted to do it) so that reduced time pressures considerably. It was lovely stopping at a rocky headland for our home-made lunch, and having time to dawdle and gaze at the creatures in the rock pools.

I did a few day trips from TCR, but really there's no limit. The mainland sites to the north, such as Altun Ha, would be a struggle but there are alternatives, at least equivalent and debatably better, which are well within reach. I've been to Caves Branch (all sorts of activities there) and to Mayan ruins at Xunantunich and Cahal Pech, with stops along the way at markets in Belmopan and San Ignacio and at a wonderful farm shop between Belmopan and Dangriga. All so much easier because you're on TCR's own minibus and (within reason) they go where and when you want, as if you were driving your own car but without the associated hassles. Informal yet effective. They also do trips to the south, but I haven't sampled those.

To be fair, TCR's island neighbour Coco Plum Resort runs similar trips in much the same way.

Hi Peter,

Could you please send me Kamela's email address so we can sort this out for her, the Boss is away today so it has fallen to me to do it!!!

Thanks, Ian

Oh, it's you Ian!! I've already sent her a message, but haven't yet had a reply.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom