Advice on dive club affiliation with dive store

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You may also wish to examine the need for meetings.

The club I'm active with doesn't have meetings (unless you count our annual BBQ, DrinkFest and Planning Party).

We conduct whatever "business" we have on the i'net.

www.northcoastdivers.org

I am one of the organizers of a dive club. We are an independent dive club. We do have several dive shops in our area that offers perks to our members. Such as 10% off gear, a dollar off of an air fill. We have a very good relationship with all of the dive shops in our area except one, He wanted exclusive rights to our club members. We meet once a month at a local eating establishment. We also support any dive trips the LDS have and even heip with organizing events that they are having. We now have over 450 members in Oklhahoma. There used to be several small clubs associated with each dive shop, but they have all folded. They even charged membership dues. We are free to join and just put out a donation bucket at our meetings. We get enought to pay for our website and domain names.

There is not one and only one, right answer to the question of which way to go. Dive clubs can be VERY SUCCESSFULLY affiliated with stores, and not lose their ability to serve as a general meeting point for divers, or a source of socialization, or an educational forum. Dive clubs can VERY SUCCESSFULLY operate independently of any particular store. A lot depends on what you you want the club to do.

My experience is that a driving force in the success of any dive club is the passion of the leadership (not necessarily the members). And, too often the passion of the individual who starts the organization is not sustained over time by others, even if those ‘others’ voluntarily accept a leadership role. That can be true whether the club is shop-affiliated or not.

My experience in two states is also that dive clubs NOT affiliated with / supported by a shop generally have a harder time sustaining activity over an extended period of time. They come and they go. They go through periods of vibrant activity, and they cease to exist, after which they are resurrected, and go through periods of vibrant activity, after which they become dormant again. That is a general observation, and there are notable exceptions.

We have several dive clubs in our area, both ‘informal’ and ‘formal’. The informal ‘club’ – now about 2 years old - is really a Facebook-based entity that has a standing weekday evening dive time at the local quarry, attended by ~2-20 divers, depending on the season, and the vagaries of individual schedules. The Facebook page provides a site where divers can link up to dive locally at other times, to be made aware of charters, training opportunities (e.g. shop classes, or activities set up by individual members or a group of members), used gear for sale, etc. The affiliation of participants crosses shop lines. At times (during summer months) some people may bring food / beverages to enjoy after a dive, but that is an individual decision, not a club-sponsored activity. There are no formal meetings or speakers, there are no officers, no dues, etc. It works well. It was started by a couple of divers who work in the IT industry, and one of them in particular is responsible for maintaining (and policing) the Facebook page. Were he / they to move away, or lose interest / enthusiasm, it might or might not continue. But, it is a minimalist club.

The most successful ‘formal’ club in the area is one that is store-affiliated – the shop takes responsibility for planning (and running) monthly meetings at a local restuarant, arranging for speakers, setting up monthly cookouts May-Oct each year, and hosting a great Holiday banquet each December (frequently attended by staff / divers affiliated with other shops in the area). But, the key ingredient is not necessarily that it is shop-affiliated, rather it is the energy and personality of the owner of the particular shop. The speakers he schedules are excellent – they are both local and regional - the meetings are a great opportunity for socializing over food and drink (usual attendance is 25-40 people, and the Holiday Banquet has sold out every year for the past 5 years (100 seats, $50 / person). I believe that the shop-affiliation contributes positively to the number of divers who regularly participate. Yes, it is clearly a shop-affiliated club. But, it is open to everyone, and divers / staff who are linked to other shops do not feel uncomfortable participating – it is not a partisan organization. BUT, it does NOT EVER meet at the store. That would create an more uncomfortable situation and probably undermine the vitality of the club.

The point is, you can go either way (shop-affiliated or not) and be successful. The key is having an individual;, or small groups of individuals committed to maintaining it. Dive clubs are generally not self-sustaining. Again, there are exceptions to every rule, but that is a general fact.

We have a local dive club that is involved "cooperatively" with our local dive shop. The club newsletter and leadership do not involve any full time shop employees. The dive club plans trips that the store will post, and the store plans trips that the club promotes, but each organizes those trips on their own. Whenever their is a trip, the shop will run specials on equipment rentals or sales to club members. There are some "co-sponsored" local events too. a couple each year, where the club and the shop each have clearly delineated responsibilities. This relationship has been excellent. The club's meetings, by the way, do not take place at the shop- we meet at a local restaurant in a private room. Also, the shop is not involved with speakers or programs. THe club is SHarkbait Dive Club of Lakewood Colorado, google them to check out their web site for ideas.
DivemasterDennis

Thank you all so much for your replies and time! I really appreciate it. I feel a bit like I'm stumbling in the dark here. you have made me realize that my club will be affiliated with the shop to a large extent. There is no way around that since we will meet there and one off the purposes in starting the club is to help the shop out. I will take the suggestions to work to make it a place where all are welcome and use word of mouth. I can see there are several obstacles that will have to be overcome for it to be a long term successful club. I will do my best with what I have. :) Thank you again so much! Any other suggestions on club activities, meeting topics, liability, officers, pretty much anything.. I'd love to hear them :)

I think one of the factors that needs to be considered is "is there only one dive shop in town?". If the answer is yes, then affiliating with them will make sense if you can get discounts on air and gear. If there are more than one, it becomes problematic in that the affiliated shop may start to complain when members buy gear from the other one etc. If there are a couple of shops, perhaps best to go independent.

I am a member of an independent club that last year celebrated its 40th anniversary. We are going from strength to strength, in fact, we hit 198 members last night. I believe that perhaps we are now too big and we need to limit the membership to perhaps 150 or 175. The reason is that off the almost 200 members, the vast majority of the work is only done by 3 or 4 members and the bigger it gets, the harder the work is for the treasurer (my wife), the web master (me) and a couple of others.

While we are independent of any shop, we do have some deals with a gear technician and a web based gear supplier.

In Sydney, there are currently (I think, hard to tell exactly) five independent clubs and two university connected clubs. There used to be at least five more but they have gone, sometimes due to infighting and the rest for many reasons. Of these other clubs, their total combined membership is less than our membership (as far as I can tell). At the same time, dive shops have dropped by at least 30% and more are posed to close this year from what we hear. There are also no dive charter boats running out of the area where our club is mostly based and there used to be three. I think this has also led to an increase in our membership.

Other things to consider, do not own any assets if you can avoid it. If someone decides to set up a club near the water, then maybe a dive boat and a compressor, but that it is. Our club has no assets apart from a club banner. All boat diving in Sydney is done from members' boats (10 at the moment). This year we have three overseas trips planned and lots more within our state.

A club will flourish if there is as little as one or two very keen members to organise and plan dives etc. Without this, they will die.

Hope this helps.

One thing that I would make sure you find out is how this dive shop will cover you, or your club officers for liability. If something does happen on a club outing, will you be covered by the shop's insurance, or are you on your own. Many dive clubs are incorporated as a non-profit, so the officers within can have some sort of legal protection. Any lawyers out there able to comment on this?

I dont know if anyone mentioned this but if you decide that you do want to be affiliated to some other group but not be "fully" affiliated, as you seem to appear. one option would be to have multiple affiliations. have 2 or three shops promote your club, talk directly to dive ops to get rates, or do self promotion etc.

Also, do things that do not involve anyone other then the club. your club should have a name for it self and thet way you promote it should make it seem that the club is the one running the show. anyone else is just helping out or adding on.

Thanks, clownfish, ermaclob, and Zog! Those are helpful points.
It really helps to have a feeling what others are doing and what concerns I need to have.
we have our 2nd meeting and first dive this month so we'll see how it goes!

I think it will depend on how much you ask from the shop. The more support you ask, the more the shop will want in return. And set things clear from the start.

I belonged to a hiking club which met every week at a pub. But for some events we could use an outdoor shop. They would keep it open for us after ours and offer extra discount on those evenings. We still got discount on any other day, although smaller and they offered the same discount to other groups.
So they get people going to the shop, which is always good when trying to compete with online shopping, they get advertised withing the club and the club members get some discounts and a place to meet when they need extra space. The shop does not support the club with any equipment, only the members directly via the discounts. It worked fine.

Back
Top Bottom