advice on camera purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba41girl

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm in the market for a digital underwater set-up. I also want a strobe. Price doesnt really matter unless you tell me it's $5,000. So far, i've hear Olympus is good. Any other input would be appreciated.

scuba41girl:
I'm in the market for a digital underwater set-up. I also want a strobe. Price doesnt really matter unless you tell me it's $5,000. So far, i've hear Olympus is good. Any other input would be appreciated.
Point and Shoot or DSLR? What I'm asking is what kind of camera do you want?

What are your plans for the camera? UW only, or topside too?

Do you want to be able to make high quality large prints, like 11X14 or just 4X6 and/or 5X7 prints?

howarde:
Point and Shoot or DSLR? What I'm asking is what kind of camera do you want?

What are your plans for the camera? UW only, or topside too?

Do you want to be able to make high quality large prints, like 11X14 or just 4X6 and/or 5X7 prints?

I would like to use it for topside also. I would also like to be able to print high quality larger prints.

And what's a DSLR? :confused:

scuba41girl:
I would like to use it for topside also. I would also like to be able to print high quality larger prints.

Believe that is digital SLR camera. I'm at a loss as to SLR....but know they are usually the really nice 35mm ones with the changable lenses. The tech ones use a CCD instead of 35mm film hence the D.

scuba41girl:

Ok - don't worry about DSLR - you want a Point and Shoot. Probably with 6 megapixels or more (if you want to go nuts). Which would be good for enlargements.

Things to look for are cameras with good battery life, and fast recharge and writing time. Some people like ones that use AA batteries. I would recommend sticking to good rechargable batteries (specific to the brand) - these generally have better battery life.

I might add that unless you going to make prints bigger than 16"x20" a 6 meg camera will be fine.

Professionally I shoot with 12 meg DSLR's. Last year I had three billboards made from photos shot this way.

Hi,

I really have doubts about the Olympus quality (images). I have a Tetra 3030 with oly 4000. I'm very happy withit except I got a Canon digital rebel and no comparision points at all. There is the dpreview.com site will help you to decide....check the samples.

I did some research and for my budget and opportunity got across a canon/aquatica setup. I will relly think for I have seen so far.....go with Nikon or Canon.

Old excellent systems
Nikon D100
Canon 300/350

New
Nikon D200
Canon 10/20/30D

Pro
well...it will be over my budget...
Nikon D1X
Canon Mark II

Of course now I'm married to Canon because of the lenses I own (50mm, 105, 10-20, 15-30, 18-55, 75-300)

I will just advice you about getting a housing which ports will work on newer versions ....Aquatica, subal, Sea&Sea seem to always keep the ports re-usables.

Just my 20c

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom