Advice on basic Underwater camera with housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hutchinson12

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello
I am lookimg for a Camera to take underwater photos. Until now I have been using a basic point & shoot with a universal seashell housing. I am looking to upgrade in terms of quality. I don't want to go as far as an SLR due to cost and photographic ability. I have been looking at the Canon G1X and G12 with their respective housing that allows me to access camera functions such as zoom & flash options etc. My diving is an even mixture of macro, large palaegic and adrenaline.
I have also read good reviews about Olympus. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

I've heard good things about the G12. I have the S95 myself, and a couple of my buddies have the S100. One thing I would recommend if you get the S95/100 is that you get a more expensive housing (e.g., Recsea) that allows easier access to all the buttons as opposed to cheaper ones such as the Canon housing or the Ikelite one so that you can use all the buttons (the Canon and the Ikelite don't have access to the wheel during dives). The Ikelite is good (and I like mine a lot), but sometimes I'd prefer easier button access.

+1 S95/100 in Recsea/Patima/Fix housing.
Small camera that you can keep in a pocket for land use, and takes excellent quality pics and video capabilities.

The cameras you mentioned are classified as advanced compact they are not basic at all
Recommendation
Definitely not the G1X for underwater as the autofocus technology is poor
The G12 is the last of a series of camera that canon will not produce anymore they are replaced by GNX series
The G12 offer less lens choices of S100/S95 and is a more bulky camera but is more professional in the settings and has a cold shoe for a TTL strobe
In terms of quality of image they go in this order
S100/G12/S95 if you look at image comparisons side by side
Right now you may grab a deal on the S95 housings as the camera is obsolete
Probably the S100 would be the most conventional choice and there's plenty of knowledge on housing, lenses, etc

I use a G12 as a backup for my DSLR setup and have yet to be disappointed with the images it produces, but as Interceptor has pointed out, it is more complex than the other Canon choices, all of which I have heard good things about. I like the G12 because it allows me to access manual functions with relative ease in comparison to the S100 and S95. If you are a basic photog looking to improve on your ability, I'd go G12. If you just want something to carry around to capture your unique experiences but don't much care for learning about photography, maybe stick with the S100.

I have the precurser to the Canon G12, the G11. It is a very nice camera. It shoots RAW. I would highly recommend using RAW in underwater photography because doing so give you the ability to modify your white balance in post processing. White balance changes constantly underwater. Now as noted above, the G12 is not a camera for neophytes. It is a compact camera that is designed for DSLR owners to carry when they don't have their DSLR. I have found the controls to be very easy to use because the camera handles like a DSLR.

If you have the cash, go for a metal housing which will allow you to use close up adaptors and wide angle adaptors. The G12 shoots a native 35 mm underwater which is not wide enough (once you learn the ropes). Also the macro only works when you zoom to wide angle which does not work on any subject that can get alarmed and move. So you need the wet lens to allow for more stand off range.

I would also recommend at least one strobe (2 strobes are better). Water aborbs long wavelengths. It becomes a blue world down there at about 70'. I have taken shots of fish against what looked like a brown background (with strobes) only to discover that the background turned out to be a garish orange or scarlet when I looked at the photo later.

The G12 has the drawback of having a very small sensor. The 4/3 camera systems give you sensors close to the size of compact DSLRs. These systems are expensive and require multiple lenses. They have an advantage over DSLRs in being far more compact. When I travel with my DSLR system and my dive gear, I feel like a sherpa hoofing vast quantities of gear up an incline.

Like everyone said, The S95, S100 and G12 are all great choices, and support macro & wide-angle options. If you step up to an Olympus PEN mirrorless camera, you will have the pleasure of faster auto-focus. Check out our compact guide and mirrorless guide for some more detailed recommendations. - Scott

Back
Top Bottom