Advice on Ambergris Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I stayed at Victoria House and dove with Ambergris Divers last July. Check out my gallery that was posted after the trip. Most of the shots in it were from that vacation. We liked their operation, especially divemaster Junior who we were quite fond of.

If you go, make every effort to visit the outer atolls, Truneffe, Lighthouse, blue hole. The crossing is a pain but the diving is worth it.

---Bob

ScubaBOBuba:
My wife and I stayed at Victoria House and dove with Ambergris Divers last July. Check out my gallery that was posted after the trip. Most of the shots in it were from that vacation. We liked their operation, especially divemaster Junior who we were quite fond of.

If you go, make every effort to visit the outer atolls, Truneffe, Lighthouse, blue hole. The crossing is a pain but the diving is worth it.

---Bob
Your pictures are great. What reefs did you dive? Unfortunately, we probably won't have time to go out to Turneffe. We were thinking Hol Chan or Victoria Canyons. Any advice on the sites by San Pedro? Also, how much is it to fly out there?
Thanks

Diver Girl 1:
So Protech would be good? What about Ambergris Divers? We have been looking at them and they seem like they can meet our needs since we are coming in on a cruise ship and all. Anybody have any advice on Ambergris Divers?

Diver Girl- Go with Protech if you can. We dove with them for 9 days and had a great time. I can't speak more highly of the divemasters. Ken :42:

yakivet:
Diver Girl- Go with Protech if you can. We dove with them for 9 days and had a great time. I can't speak more highly of the divemasters. Ken :42:

Ken,

Glad you had a good time! (Thank you for posting your full report on the other thread.) It always is a nervous time after one recommends a dive operation, until the report comes in. I know the operation to be a good one, but there is always that odd chance of some unusual disaster.

P.S.--I really like your choice of avatar!!! :wink:

Rob Davie

How long is the ride from San Pedro to Half Moon ?? & are some ops faster than others ??

Tuckster:
How long is the ride from San Pedro to Half Moon ?? & are some ops faster than others ??

It was a couple of hours on Amigos Del Mar's big boat. Not sure whether other ops have faster boats - ADM's boat seemed pretty quick for its size (and I wouldn't want to make the crossing in anything much smaller).

Tuckster:

Tuck- We dove the BH first and then backtracked a little to make the 2nd and 3rd dives at halfmoon/lighthouse. The Trip was 2- 2 1/2 hours. The day we went it was Amigo's and their Pro48, AquaDives and a boat from Caye Caulker. The Amigo's Boat was by far the most comfortable. On our day, the water was smooth and we made the cut straight across instead of running within the reef's sheltered water. If there had been any more wind, or rougher water, the Pro48 would be by far the best boat. I'd either dive with Amigo's or Protech for the local trips. We made all our dives with Protech, contracting though them with Amigo's for the day trips to Lighthouse (BH) and Turneffe. The smaller boats may be a littlefaster but in my opinion, weren't worth the sacrifice. Ken :42:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom