Advice needed. Grand Turk vs. Salt Cay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zanna

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Trying to decide where to go in June, Grand Turk or Salt Cay. Is there much difference in the diving on these two islands? I will be travelling alone.

Welcome to the board!

Joe

Howdy!

And welcome to SB - the biggest, the best, the fastest growing, and :D the friendliest!
If you'll click ScubaBoard.com above, you'll be taken to our long list of forums, a wealth of information and resources. At the bottom, be sure to notice the Local & Singles Dive Club forums.

It looks like you posted your question on the right forum shortly after you posted here. I notice on your profile that you are either a DM or an Inst. Be sure to register for our Inst2Inst fourm: click here
PM me if I can help you learn your way around; that is - click my username to the upper left, then follow the prompts to send me a "Personal Message." :thumb:

:cowboy: don

I just actually got back from Grand Turk last week. I was down there for work, and got certified when I was there. I had a good time. I just wish I had more time to hit more of the dive spots. If you go there I would recommended Oasis Divers, it's between the Saltraker Motel (cheap but not that great, very low water pressure and luke warm water) and Turks Head. I'm friends with the son of the Turks Head Mansion so I would suggest there as well. :) Also there is the New Ofspry, which has nice rooms.

All in all I'm a newbie at diving, but had a good time both day and night dives. Hope this helps a little bit. We have a bunch of photos from the dives as well, which I think Scott (who is on this board somewhere) I think is going to put some photos up.

I have not been to Salt Cay but I have been to Grand Turk. I have been told that the diving is comparable between the two. The big difference is lack of amenities on Salt Cay. There is really not a lot on Grand Turk and even less on Salt Cay. If Grand Turk is one step beyond then Salt Cay is the last outpost. By the by, wlecome to Scubaboard!

Zanna,

I would recomend Grand turk it is more of a secluded Isaland not much else to do but Dive and Drink...... Salt Cay I believe has a little more of a night life. I would also recomend diving with Dale at Oasis Dives She is great and they run a very nice shop. There were a few days when it was just me and a DM on the Boat. I was out there on work so I did not get in as much diving as I would have like but it was all amazing even though Mike and I were in the same hotel Hell same room I had much better luck with the showers at Saltraker. But there were times that the water pressure got low and so did the hot water. But Erika the Mgr is working on fixing all these issues. The New Osprey is a very nice place to stay as well but will be a little more money. Any questions please feel free to PM me. I will be posting some dive reports this weekend just need to get my computer at home back up and online... Will hopefuly have a fair amount of pics up as well.

Scott

Ok Looks like Tim corrected me on Salt Cay and Grand Turk Night Life... Also Check out the Sand Bar on Grand Turk RIght across from SaltRaker and the Manta house.

P.S. Zanna Check out World of Diving I belive their website is worldofdiving.com they set up trips out to Grand turk I know they have one planed coming up soon. May be a way to have a nice group of people to head out there with.

I have dived both & the diving is similar. We also did a bit of shore diving & this is easier on GT. Yes - the difference is in the night life - on Salt Cay there were 2 bars - on GT a few more - try the Nookie Hill Club. If you have the time I would include both - it's only an 8 minute flight. Stay at Mt. Pleasant on Salt Cay.

Zanna:
Trying to decide where to go in June, Grand Turk or Salt Cay. Is there much difference in the diving on these two islands? I will be travelling alone.

I have dived both and remember the diving as being about equal. Both are quiet and remote. Be aware that all food is imported and that the supply boats only run once or twice a week.

Grand Turk: I went alone and loved it. I stayed in one of the hotels in "town" and so ate with other divers. I still email with some of them. I missed having access to a good beach but, overall, I liked Grand Turk. I'd avoid the Arawak unless it has undergone extensive renovation relatively recently.

Salt Cay: Salt Cay is horrid looking at first glance. It does indeed have salt ponds. It also has many feral donkeys, it's scrubby, and it's desolate. I was part of a small group this time so the situation was unlike that on Grand Turk. We rented golf carts and "drove" all round the island. There is one fantastic beach and Tradewinds is situated on that beach. The beach went on forever with only footprints. Both swimming and snorkeling were excellent. Tradewinds has a netsite and is worth checking.

Ondine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom