Advice Needed - Gopro Build Versatile Red Filter + Close-up Lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aliallo

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there,

I would like to pick your brains on an idea.

Project
I would like to have a GoPro 3+ red filter mount capable to be flexible enough to:
- grab some footage outside the water - without red filter
- take large plans footer at dive levels - with red filter
- take close-ups of marine life - with red filter and macro lens!

All of that without fiddling around with filters underwater. I am nowhere near a professional photographer and I don't plan on using lights at the moment. Just looking to shoot and bring nice memories up to the surface :)

I am aware that I am describing something very similar to the Polar Pro Switchblade2.0 (link) however I have ruled out this product from what I read from the reviews.

Possible Solutions?
After further research and reading of this forum, my interrogation is which of this following assemblies could possibly work and is the best?

Package 1:
- Flip4 Pro Package (with 3 filters and MacroMate Mini +15) - ($179 - link)
- FLIP4 55mm Threaded DIVE Underwater red filter ($25 - link )

Total: $204
Comments:
  • no need for a stackable 55 mm filter as the front of the MacroMate mini is threaded and welcomes an other 55mm filter (source)
  • good for macro : the MacroMate mini lens sounds like an excellent macro lens (and I assume very close macro requires lighting so no red filter)
Package 2:
- FLIP4 3 filter kit package - ($99 - link)
- FLIP4 55mm filter holder ($20 - link)
- FLIP4 55mm +10 Close-Up Lens ($20 - link)
- FLIP4 55mm Threaded DIVE Underwater red filter ($25 - link )
- 55mm SRP stackable filter adapter to stack +10 close-up lens with threaded red filter ($21 - link)

Total: $185
Comments:
  • Cheapest!
  • Not sure about the compatibility between SRP stackable filter and the FLIP4 lenses??

Package 3:
- Flip4 3 filter kit package - ($99 - link)
- Flip4 55mm filter holder ($20 - link)
- 55mm SRP URPro CY filter ($77 - link)
- 55mm SRP Marumi Macro+10 lens ($56 - link)
- 55mm SRP stackable filter adapter to stack Marumi Macro +10 ($21 - link)
- 55mm slip filter ring to allow Marumi Macro to be stacked flat upon Flip4 filter holder - ($7 - link)

Total: $280
Comments:
  • Less concerns regarding compatibility
  • Not sure about necessity of the 55mm slip filter ring
  • Can I switch the 55mm SRP lens by any brand 55mm lens (BackScatter, Magic Filters, etc...)

I got inspired to build up my own red filter+macro lens watching this website selling an assembly with the Backscatter MacroMate Mini + SRP BLURFIX3+55 including the CYD dome filter in the Macro lens (link [FR]).

If you have other package options in mind, please feel free to share

Cheers,
Ali

Last edited:
The Backscatter flip filter system works well for all your needs.
You shouldn't need a color filter for macro as there is so little water between the subject and the lens, it's like shooting on land.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom