Advice Needed for Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

msgordon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I should have my OW completed by the end of June and will be in Key West July 10th to the 16th.
Looking for a good place to rent my equipment from and do some shallow dives with and possibly if my schedule does not permit me from completing my OW checkout (PADI) to finish it there.
Was also told I should look into getting my wreck dive certification since there are some shallow water wrecks that would be within my limits.
Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

You'll find better diving elsewhere in the keys that in Key West. My personal opinion and many others here also.

But if that's where you're headed, I had good luck with Sub Tropic. They have 2 dive boats and do a wreck+reef trip in the morning and a reef+reef trip that is shallower.

I'm sure that others might have suggestions on other shops also.

Subtropic is a good shop, I also like Sea Breeze/Reef Raiders. Subtropic runs smaller boats and the crew is top notch for sure.

I wouldn't worry about the wreck cert just yet. Both wrecks in Key West are in 60'+ water. I'd look at doing some reefs for experience before tackling wrecks down here.

Rachel

Actually Rachel,
The Cayman is in 90 feet, and Joe's Tug (what's left of it) is in 60 feet. These are the wrecks that most KW shops run to.

Whenever I have gone diving in Key West it was with Southpoint. Never had much of a problem with them.

For diving, Key West Diving Society at the east end of Caroline St. For drinking, Irish Kevin's.:D

wstein:
Whenever I have gone diving in Key West it was with Southpoint. Never had much of a problem with them.
I'll second that recommendation, Southpoint Divers are a great bunch, very laid-back. :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom