Advice from instructors please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frosty

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey folks I'd like advice from instructors, actual dive ops etc.
Ive done all the skills needed to get my Divemaster qualification. Literally I have 2 more dives to lead and Ive passed.
So Im looking at what I need to do moving forwards towards a full instructor rating.
Im getting conflicting advice.
On one hand Im being told that training as assistant instructor will give me 1/3 of the actual training for instructor so I should do the AI course.
On the other hand Im getting that I should do a divemaster internship -filling out my skills so Im doing the instructing Im allowed to within the limitations of the DM rating then just take the time and do the full IDC.
Both ways seem to have their advantages and disadvantages.
im NOT in any way looking to take shortcuts in my training or gaining experience.
It is just that just the advice is so polarised.
What would YOU suggest ??

Last edited:
Do you have the capability of just helping as a DM for a while?

Work with a number of instructors, gain experience with students, teach some of the classes DM's can do? All that goes a long way toward being a good Instructor when the time comes.

sorry hawkwood -as per usual I pound away at the keyboard leaving out big chunks of the story.
Ive edited the OP
Im not looking for shortcuts at all. It is just a case that the advice and suggested path seems to be so totally different from my POV.

There is a lot of value in working as a DM before doing your IDC, if you can then do so.

When it comes to doing your IDC, if you have experience as a DM then I would just go straight through AI & OWSI at the same time. The AI cert stand alone does not permit you to do enough over the DM cert to warrant sticking around at that level. The vast majority of cadidates will go straight from DM to OWSI and the majority of IDCs are scheduled to run their course with this in mind.

Spend some quality time as a DM getting experience assisting instructors, then go for full instructor.

As with almost everything, it depends. In this case, it largely depends on what opportunities are available to you as a DM and as an AI. And it depends on you as an individual.
I spent a year as a DM and then a year as an AI, and it worked great - for me. The shop I was associated with had plenty for me to do at both levels. And it worked well with my tendency toward gradualism. I was comfortable as a DM before I took the AI course, and I was then comfortable as an AI before I took the IDC. (In those days, the IDC wasn't split into AI and OWSI - one enrolled as either a DM or AI and took the whole course.)

You are correct in that there are advantages/disadvantages to both but like most topics in diving, taking time and making changes slowly works best.

I worked for a year as a DM with instructors in Japan and then in the U.S. In the end I elected to go straight through the AI and OWSI at the same time because while I thought AI was a very valuable job what I really wanted to do was teach. That was my overall goal so I went with that and I've been happy with that decision. I will say without reservation that working for a period as a DM, even only part time, was exceptionally valuable for me. I agree with many of the other posters that you can take some time and get a feel for diving as a profession before you have to decide one way or another.

Congratulations on becoming a DM!

focus perfecting your skills as a DM. They must be demonstration quality; absolutely perfect. If your IDC is run properly, you'll need those skills nailed. And really review and learn your dive physics and physiology. I'd suggest spending some time as DM. Learn the business.

hey thanks folks-As I posted . NOT looking to take any shortcuts or zero to Hero . Im just not sure if going DM direct to instructor or an in between step is better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom