Advice for traveling with non-divers to GC - housing, diveop, etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mountainsean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Headed to GC for Xmas with my non-diving (but snorkel-loving) wife and kids. We've never been to GC before, so we're looking for advice on places to stay (condo preferred) and convenient diveops (ideally ones who will pick you up in the a.m. so I can leave the rental car with the wife). Sounds like Seven Mile Beach is the main drag, and I've seen some threads on recommended ops (Wall to Wall sounds promising), but wasn't sure if other areas might make more sense. Mainly we aren't really resort-types, and tend to enjoy a quieter, more secluded experience. We'd love to find a place where the kids could swim/snorkel right from the condo and see some decent stuff. Should we consider something further east? Is most of the good diving near 7 Mile? Trying to strike a balance between a good experience for the family and for me (ease of access, quality sites, etc.).

Thanks for any suggestions,
Sean

I would look at north SMB. Assuming the kids want a beach as well as snorkeling. It's a little quieter north past the marina and the condos/resorts aren't so back to back.

You're covered since all the dive operators will pick you up along SMB. There's a fleet of dive vans picking up divers daily along West Bay Road at the back entrances to condos/resorts.

Besides Wall to Wall - which I recommend, look at Neptune's Divers, Ambassador Divers, DNS Diving or Indigo Divers. All are 6-8 divers max on bigger boats. I recommend Ambassador also - they're at the Comfort Suites a little to the south but their boats aren't - IDK where they keep them but probably in one of the marinas on the North Sound. What I really like about Wall to Wall - and others - is they're not afraid to burn the gas to get you out to the better North Wall dive sites. Any of these choices will be good also - everybody prices the same so service is how they differentiate themselves. Cayman Islands Tourism Association - Watersports

Diving off SMB is all boat diving - it's too far from shore. The better diving extends north from there and continues around NW Point to the North Wall. Some of the best dives there are Eagle Ray Pass, Hammerhead Hill, Ghost Mountain and farther east Babylon. Babylon is too far east for most of the west side operators but some do it on extended day trips.

The problem with looking at the quieter East End or the North Side is that there's one dive operator in each area and you'd have to drive to it. Also there really isn't much good beach anywhere except SMB - some will be sand but ironshore at the waterline. Here's a typical example in the NW Point area - water access is by vertical ladder off the dive dock. Several other properties in that area are similar. http://www.caymanvacationcondo.com/ So back to SMB options:

One that came to mind was Christopher Columbus. It's a condo property on the far north of SMB - check but I'm sure most dive operators will pick you up there - some have their boats in a nearby marina. There's a beach and a snorkeling reef off the beach. One of the other good snorkeling beaches on Grand Cayman - Cemetery Beach is just north of it - I think you could almost walk there. Christopher Columbus Condo - Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman

Fosters Food Fair is a 1/4 mi. north also. Right across West Bay Road from CC is the Jackson's Pond wetlands so there's no buildings. 500' to the south is the golf course. Just past it is the rotary. Left on the rotary into the Yacht Harbor - Wall to Wall keeps a boat there. Also Living the Dream Divers has theirs nearby. Probably several others also.

Just north of CC is Discovery Point Condos. Their pool is on their beach but it may be a bigger property than you want. http://discoverypointclub.com/

Slightly farther north still is Silver Sands. The nice thing about them is they're on a much wider beach due to their location. silversandscondos.com

Lastly in that area is Heritage Club. They're on a better snorkeling beach than some of the others. Just south of the golf course. Heritage Club condos - Grand Cayman

Once you get much farther south you run into the busier part of SMB near the Ritz and the bigger marina. There's shops/restaurants in that area - it's probably a mile south of Heritage Club.

One other option if you wanted to be closer to Georgetown yet away from the hustle of the cruise port could be the Grandview. We stayed next door and walked by it a couple times - looked nice. Nice beach but ironshore at the waterline but there the water is still accessible. http://www.caymanvacations.com/grandview.shtml

hth, I didn't really mean to write this much - what else is there to do on a Sunday night...:rofl3:

Last edited:
Fantastic info, thanks so much! We're looking at Silversands as a matter of fact, just waiting to hear back on availability. Sounds like the right area for us. I really appreciate the help.

Regards,
Sean

Excellent choice. The codo area at the north end of SMD is lovely and quieter than further south.
As pointed out, almost all of the west side ops will pick you up and drop you back from there.

I personally like DNS and Wall to Wall. Big boats, small groups, valet service. I have no personal experience with the other operators listed above.

If Silversands is full, Christopher Columbus and Discovery are both very nice. I've stayed at both and would make the decision based on price. I like the ground floor units at both as you can walk right off your patio to the pool and beach.

Not much crime in the area so you are safe on ground floor.

There is very good shore diving a few miles up the road at Turtle Reef.

Look at East End as well. There oftentimes are good deals for condo rentals by owners at the Reef Resort and Morritt's. The beach is really quite nice, the snorkeling is excellent, and the diving is much better than the west side of the island. It is quiet and off the beaten path. Red Sail is on location, but Ocean Frontiers is a little over a mile down the street. Your wife could drop you off and pick you up there very easily. One negative is that it is on the windy side of the island, however, I have never missed a dive with OF on my many trips there due to the fact that they can dive North (Babylon), East and South. We go to GC at least once a year and prefer East End over Georgetown and SMB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom