advice for Saba/Statia trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bbarnes

Contributor
Reaction score
Our group of 3 divers, 2 kids and 2 Grandparents will be heading to Saba and Statia for a week in May/June. Just wanting some advice of some 'don't miss' dives, restaurants and topside activities. All of the divers have cameras so we would like to take that into consideration too. Any help you can give would be great!!:D

Bbarnes:
Our group of 3 divers, 2 kids and 2 Grandparents will be heading to Saba and Statia for a week in May/June. Just wanting some advice of some 'don't miss' dives, restaurants and topside activities. All of the divers have cameras so we would like to take that into consideration too. Any help you can give would be great!!:D

Try checking out the following URL

http://www.sabatourism.com/diving.html

You might also consider going to the following URL

https://www.undercurrent.org/secure/UCnow/nlsub_cc.html

Undercurrent is a dive publication that takes no advertising. They have ratings for dive operators around the world. An initial subscription is $39 per year which includes a book called a "Chapbook" which consolidates all of the reviews for the past few years etc.

He indicates that if you are not happy within the first year he will give you an unconditional refund so you don't have anything to lose.

If I had done this before one of my trips I would have avoided a miserable experience. I subscribed when I got home and found out that people had already reported several problems with this dive operator.

On the other hand, I looked up Oceans Unlimited (west cost of Puerto Rico) before going on a land/cruise vacation last year. The reports in Undercurrent were very positive. I booked the trip to Desecheo island and was very happy.

I have no association at all with Undercurrent. As a matter of fact, writing this message reminded me that I have to renew my own subscription.

I just looked in my 2006 Chapbook and there are 13 reviews for Saba and 5 for St. Eustatius

Hopefully this helps you out.

Have you thought about posting your request on the Caribbean forum, rather than the Accident forum...?

Saba diving is in a marine park so all the diving is very good. I think the best dive there is Diamond Rock, but like I said, they are all really fine. Most of the dives are deep, but easy. I like Saba Deep as the dive op as I prefer small, family type ops and their personal service. Dived with Saba Deep on 3 different trips and have only positive things to say about them.
Have a great trip.

Sandra

Hi Bbarnes - I'm going to Saba next week. I'm going to see what people say in this thread, and I'll try to report back to you when we get back. We're staying at El Momo and diving with Sea Saba. Can't wait!

I noticed that after I posted it....OOPS> Hopefully not a forshadow of some sort of problem.....These threads can't be moved can they?? Sorry

I highly recommend the Gate House for lodging on Saba. The view is magnificent and the owners go out of their way to assist you with anything you need. We rented the villa and it was HUGE! With a group your size that might be the way to go, it even has its own small private pool. I cannot say enough nice things about Saba Deep's operation. We really enjoyed the time spent diving with them and "the Mike's" are a lot of fun. You can order your lunch at the restaurant above the shop before you leave for your morning dives and it will be ready for you when the boat comes in. The cooks watch for the boat to come into the harbor and can time your food so it's coming to the table right after you do.

There isn't a whole lot to do topside on Saba, it's definitely a place for divers. The glass shop is a must-see and if they are closed your taxi driver will probably just honk and the employee who lives nearby will come and open the shop for you.

We really enjoyed Saba!
Ber :lilbunny:

We are staying at Julianna's on Saba and diving with Sea Saba. When we go to Statia we are staying at the Old Gin House and diving with Golden Rock. Can anyone tell me about the "muck" diving? I don't mind depth or current but am not crazy about super low vis. Also, how demanding is the walking up to Mt. Scenery?

I can't comment on Statia as I've never dived there. The hike up Mt. Scenery is not too hard but it is all uphill. You do need to be fit and in reasonable shape. They call the trail 1000 steps or something like that. The bad part is that the top is usually covered by clouds so even when you've made it to the top, there's no view. Timing is everything on the hike. Also, remember that strenuous exercise and diving do not mix. Be careful about increasing your altitude soon after diving as well.

Have a blast and be safe.

Sandra

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom