Advice for purchasing a Camera, Anyone??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm asking the same question. I like the G11 with the knob controls. It sounds like Canon's cases are good. Is that right?

The class is in the works via our LDS before we leave driftwood.....thanks

OK i took a look at the sea and sea cameras including the DX2 and there was also a DX1200HD - other thanthe pricing difference the cameras they appear to be very similiar - what about the strobes what really is the difference in some of the strobes - i am assuming the amount of light - but how much of a difference does it really make in some of these packages....??

Camera & Lighting Kits

You might watch for a used uw housing at a good price and then get a camera to fit it. This is what I was trying to do and came across a housing for my Nikon

The most important characteristics of an underwater camera system are a strobe and a close-focusing wide angle lens. You need the strobe because the deeper you go, the more the water dims the light and filters out the reds and yellows, leaving you with nothing but blue and/or green. You need a close-focusing wide angle lens to allow you to get close to your subject. Even the clearest water is not as clear as air, so you don't want to be shooting through a lot of it if you want clear pictures. Also, the refraction of the water causes the lens to behave like a "longer" lens than it is, so you need an extreme wide angle lens to get the effect of a moderate wide angle. You may also want a macro lens or close-up attachment in order to photograph tiny but beautiful sea creatures. So these characteristics are some of the things to look for when reading the specs on cameras that you might want to buy.

Hi tmp

There is a difference between the DX2 and DX1200HD. The DX2 is a superior camera and does allow to more grow into as a photographer than the HD does . Though the HD does offer the HD video capability we do not see this as a great benefit, even though the DX2 specs do not say so it will shoot in a movie mode if you want a little video clip.
The DX offers manual controls over items such as exposure and though you will not probably shoot in manual modes right from the start you probably will as time goes by as it will give you more controls over your pictures. The DX also offers the ability to shoot in RAW which again you may not use from the start but should you get into doing a little post production work on your pictures with something like photo shop Raw will allow you to make better corrections to you photos over shooting in JEPEG.
The sea&sea 110 is a superior strobe over the 27 and again will help you out down the road but also in the beginning as the 110 offers a wider range of coverage over the 27. With it you can throw on that wide angle lens and shoot and light up a beautiful fan for example. The 110 also allows for better adjustments to the amount of light you want to flash and the strobe recycles faster or allows you to take another picture more quickly than the 27 which helps with moving subjects.
You will find more tips here on the Scuba Board for shooting UW photography and if you go to a website suh as uwphotography.com you can find online tutorials to help you get started.
as you will find there is a difference between just taking a picture and capturing one, but getting to the later is quite rewarding.
We offer uw photography classes here in the warm clear waters of Key Largo Florida if your ever interested and also love to help out new and experienced photographers on our Dive Adventure trips. Please feel free to check out our website below.

I would start with a P&S Canon with full manuel controls---in a Canon UW housing.....&, no ext strobe is necessary to begin with....

Yes, especially if you are new to underwater cameras. I have an s90 that I'm getting the canon uw case for ($174). I recently had my canon g7 stolen but the g series camera flashes don't light up macro critters in front of the camera very well even with the diffuser. Although there are those who have jerry built some extra reflector/diffusers to overcome this handicap. I used to have a little canon s400 back 6 years ago that really took some nice shots and I think the s90 will do very well with close up macro or using natural light for far off shots. Don't forget the video for those low light level swimming fishes too - it's wows the coworkers when you play the thresher shark videos back home. The little s90 is real easy to keep handy in a pocket or jacket too.

I would look at the canon G11 or S90 with the canon housing for them. They are better all around cameras also. That will be excellent for UW and Topside shooting.

I'm asking the same question. I like the G11 with the knob controls. It sounds like Canon's cases are good. Is that right?

A G11 or a S90, depending on exactly which features you lie. The S90 has the unusual capability for modern cameras to have independent rotary ring controls for both f stop and shutter, not even most dSLRs can do that. The image sensor and engine are the same as the G11. The S90 also has a very fast f2.0 lens. Both are great cameras to enjoy.

The Canon housing, define "good" as I am not terribly impressed with Canon cases. You get what you pay for, I would get the FIX or Patima for the G11 and the FIX and S90 are an awesome combo.

FIX90/S90 with Inon fisheye 165 degree lens, power in the palm:

DSCF0003-1.jpg

N

The class is in the works via our LDS before we leave driftwood.....thanks

If UW photo is your thing, be sure you get a rig with custom white balance. Nice to be able to tell your camera, "this is white" at a depth and conditions.

Back
Top Bottom