Advice for purchasing a Camera, Anyone??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmp

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello, All - Hopefully I have posted this where it will get some helpful replies.

We have an uncoming trip planned to the Philippines and we area looking at purchasing an underwater camera (as I can not bring myself to go to a place like that without one - I will regret it). That being said I dont have alot of knowledge on which to back up and/or make a decision - our local shop - which is a suburb of Chicago carries cameras by Sea Life - and they offer the DC1000 which includes a strobe, a case, the housing and camera (etc etc). They are a small shop but very reputable and I have bought almost all of our gear through them; however, I see other brands out there and I just have nowhere to start. I merely need a dependable camera, with basic features, I know I need the flash, and I want something that I will be able to use for the next several years (hopefully). I dive mostly in the carribean, Grand Cayman, Mexico, Bahamas etc with my wife...any suggestions or starting points.

Are the sealife cameras good?
Are all the cameras pretty much the same?
Is that too much camera for what I need?

ANY helpful hints/suggestions are welcome - thanks in advance.

A couple of my friends have the Sea Life DC1000.

It takes descent photos. You can take it out of the housing and use it on shore. You can get different lenses on it. It packs well into its case. The case that is comes with is fine for carry on. It is easy to use.

You can get a ballast piece for it. I'd suggest getting that.

I would call it a very good to great beginner camera.

You won't be disappointed.

The Sea Life is a decent system but even though you may just be starting as a beginner for photos you may want something that is a bit nicer from the start so that you have some room to grow into it and not want to buy something else later, especially after seeing all the really amazing fish life the Philippines has to offer.
You may want to consider the sea&sea DX 2G which is both a very good camera for beginners too what I would say upper intermediate photographers.
Check with Reef Photo and B&H Photo, you can Google search them and we believe Amazon sells a complete system for under $2,000 that includes camera, housing,strobe with arm, a wide angle lens, a case and some other goodies.
If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.:D

I would start with a P&S Canon with full manuel controls---in a Canon UW housing.....&, no ext strobe is necessary to begin with....

Mark - no we have a crappy little nikon (not very new either) so I doubt using it in an aftermarket underwater housing would ba an option for us

Kev/Stacy - thanks Ill look into that - thats also one of my concerns, getting a system that may be adaquate but has little / if any ability to grow and/or expand

A fantastic and quality set up for beginners is the Canon S90 with the Fisheye Fix S90 housing. Compact, excellent optics and quality, full control, easy to use, machined aluminum housing, and plenty of additional lens options.

tmp,

The first thing I would do is to take a UW photo class from your lds. Then you will be able to make a much more informed decision on what you want from your rig or if it is worth the trouble. You also might see if they have cameras you can rent for your trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom