advice for newbie to U/W photography pls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDebbie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm a newbie to u/w photography and been thinking for some time now of getting a camera and housing for u/w. Although I am a PNW diver, I'm not so keen on photography here in our local murky waters, but I love to take pictures in warm, clear water while on vacation. I'm looking for a point and shoot in around the $500 range. I've been doing some reading of the posts here, and now I am just more thoroughly confused.
For land photography I have a Fuji which has been awesome. It takes some great shots for a cheap little point and shoot. Unfortunately a housing is not made for it, and now it is getting older and starting to devour batteries. Time to retire it.
When I went to Maui I borrowed an older Canon powershot A40 with housing. It was absolutely horrendous. On the advice of those more experienced, I tried everything I could, but my pictures just sucked. Later I realized that the camera's owner also had lousy shots from this thing, so it wasn't just me. He tried to sell it to me... no thanks. Honestly, my pictures on a disposable, as a brand new diver in Australia, turned out better than these. It sucked on land too, so I used my Fuji there (thankfully I brought it too). The Canon was also much heavier and just plain clunky. So, as you can guess, from this experience I am not a Canon fan. I am trying to be open minded. I know they make some great SLR's and that many people love their Canon's, but what about the entry level/lower end? You would have to admit that this old model was indeed crap and convince me they have improved 1000% since this old thing.
Luckily my fiance has a Sony with a housing, so he got some great shots as always. He's a huge Sony fan and loves his camera, despite the fact it's a bit older now and wasn't very expensive. The thing is, he had his camera before he got into u/w photography so it was a nightmare to find a housing. I don't want to got through that. I will only buy a camera and housing together, at exactly the same time. No housing - no camera sale. I refuse to hunt for a housing.
So, I was considering the SeaLife DC500. I liked that it is geared for u/w and comes with the housing. I read 'shark mode' and got excited. I hated the super long shutter lag on that Canon (oh gee... the fish is now 5 miles away). However, from what I read here I am not so sure about it anymore. There's seems to be some pretty mixed reviews, and the "known problems" makes me nervous. I'm big on customer service and convenience, so I would prefer (especially if there's a risk of problems) to just buy my camera/housing here in town. Problem is, it seems to be hard to find anyone in places like Best Buy (I do like to find the best deal) or even camera shops, who know anything about housings. This is how it goes - blank stare - you want to use it underwater? (strange look) - ok, sure we can order a housing for that model - let me just look it up.... when I know for a fact that the model I'm looking at doesn't have a housing, and I'm asking him if any of them do, and he hasn't a clue. I need to know exactly what to buy before I head to the store. How do I find out what models have housings? It seems to be so hard to find any info. on manufacturers sites ...and please don't tell me to search for the housing separate or on eBay, or Ikelite. I am not into the hassle.
I must say that Sony is high on my list due to my fiance's success with his, but what else is recommended, in my price range, for a beginner who wants the ability to take good land shots and hope for at least a few half decent u/w shots for my level??? I have until my Jamaica wedding in Jan. to find the right one.
Thanks!

No one?
Ok, how about if I ask a different question - Where you buy your camera and housing from? Discount electronics store (like Best Buy, Future Shop), camera shop, your LDS, online (eBay or scuba specific - i.e. Scuba.com)

I don't know if it's different in Canada, but here, stores like Best Buy or Future shop will not have anything to do with housings. Period. You ar luckily if they know what one is... seriously. "oh no, you can't take any of these cameras underwater ...except this Olympus" (which was 'rain' water proof) it was painful.
I went back to a Black's and finally I lucked out and got someone who knows his stuff. He told me that it's much, much easier to get a housing for a Canon, and they are available for more models. Housings for a Sony on the other hard are very difficult to get and it could take like 6 months, (I believe him) , and forget about trying to find one for a Nikon or a Fuji. I talked to him about the SeaLife cameras and he feels they just don't have the experience and knowledge Canon has. Good point there. I think he's pretty much convinced me that any camera Canon puts out now is a million times better than that old thing I borrowed. Perhaps I just needed someone to convince me! (and help erase that awful Canon memory)
Plus he can get me the housing in 2 or 3 weeks... himself... one stop shopping!!! I sure like that!
So... SD800 or A710 ? Any thoughts? They each seem to have their pros and cons. The wide angle and compact size of the SD800 are nice, but the 6x optical zoom and more manual settings (to grow with) of the A710 are nice.

Debbie.

Take the bad experience with Canon and throw it away, that was then and this is now!!!

I shoot Canon, I also hold very high regards for Oly!!

They have both took a turn into underwater photography!!

You wont go wrong with either camera and housing you are looking at let the shop you spoke of help you, I feel you will be very happy and you are getting a much better system for the same money if you went with sealife.

Please dont go with Sea Life, you will be very sorry if you do i think!!

I just bought my wife the SD800 IS and IKELITE housing. We snapped a few pick through the housing on the surface and they came out fine. We have not had a chance to dive with it yet but we plan on using it soon. I did notice the IKELITE housing is larger then the cannon housing, which may require you to use handle/strobe arm if you have small hands. Ikelite cases have better depth then the canon case. Have you tried www.digideep.com? They list cameras and housings on their forum.

I have a Fuji E900 in an Ikelite housing and love it. BTW, the PNW is one of the most beautiful places in the World for u/w photography.

FamilyDivers:
I just bought my wife the SD800 IS and IKELITE housing. We snapped a few pick through the housing on the surface and they came out fine. We have not had a chance to dive with it yet but we plan on using it soon. I did notice the IKELITE housing is larger then the cannon housing, which may require you to use handle/strobe arm if you have small hands. Ikelite cases have better depth then the canon case. Have you tried www.digideep.com? They list cameras and housings on their forum.

Debbie the above is also very sound advice, the sd800 is proving to be a great camera and the Ike-Lite housing though a bit more exxpensive is awesome, I also use Ike-Lite

I have an Olympus fe230($200, not much in discounts, since ist is fairly new), it is smaller than a deck of cards, so I carry it in my pocket a lot. It has a large lcd and is fairly intuitive to use. I got the PT038 housing from buy.com for about $130, it too is small, the set up is neutrally bouyant in fresh water.
I have only used it in a pool full on teenagers. The photos were pretty good, not much lag. It starts up very quickly. I have been pleased with it, but I am not techy, so i am still learning.

Is it better than others? I don't know, but it makes a nice point and shoot. I'll get a chance to use it in Grand Cayman next month, maybe even post some photos then.

Thanks Jim... whooosh... that was my bad Canon experience flushing away :wink:

As for the cost, you're right, they are about the same amount of money in the end. I found a SeaLife online for $500, but that's US of course, so by the time I add shipping, do the exchange, add taxes and duty.... blah blah blah.... I can buy the Canon and housing for about the same price here.

FamilyDivers - I was told I can get the Canon housing for either model, so I think I'd go with that... easier. thx for the link. Finally some solid info. with model numbers

I'd have to hop on the Canon A series bandwagon. I haven't used the A40 but I have results from the ancient A20 that we've used for advertising and postcards :wink:

And my A70 and A75 were workhorses providing some lovely images. I now have the A520 in our hire fleet and it's doing a good job for all experience levels.

As I have said many times here, there's something about the Canon A's (and the S's) that just seems to click with many divers and good results are had usually from the first dive with them. As I see a ton of cameras come through each week, these still show the most consistently good results.

The A6xx range or maybe the A710 would probably be the way I would head at the moment as they have the faster chip in them (compared to the 5xx series). I personally wouldn't get into the SD range simply because they have no manual controls and that will limit your growth and the potential to get some shots - even if you leave your camera in P or Auto mode the vast majority of the time, having the choice to switch to manual control to get the shot you really want is a must in my book.

That being said about the Canon range, there are models by Olympus and Fuji that are definitely good choices, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom