Advice for new and advanced open water diver - solo female backpacker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VanillaDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone and thanks for taking the time to read this. I am a 31 year old solo female traveller who recently got padi advancedopen water certified. So now, I'm hooked to diving and want to do some more!!!

i have 11 dives so I still consider myself to be a novice. I am on a budget and I'm backpacking. I enjoy trekking and hiking and I love to discover new things. I'm travelling alone so no buddy.

what I am looking for is a fun place where I can do some diving to become more experienced without necessarily blowing my entire budget. I'm willing to do some work exchange programs to ct down costs. I dont know much about the Philipines so any direction anybody can give me would be awesome.

i am looking at Coron since I particularly enjoyed my one wreck dive but am willing to explore other options. Basically, I'm looking for a safe place for a solo female, with great safe diving and budget is a factor.

I look forward to your collective wisdom to help in guiding me!

This may seem strange to suggest but try Sebang near Puerto Galera.

Basically this place is there for the Diving not for great sandy beaches. All levels are catered for and is the best all round diving money for value in the Phillipines.

Go to little laguna beach and the dive shops there, it is quieter cheaper and all are very experienced.
I have not heard of any problems here for single travellers, but always suggest hooking up with some of the other tourists here, as anywhere groups are better.

Try Action divers. They have packages at great prices for backpackers (my recommendation) stay Banana moon. Also look at AB wonder dive and Alantis for comparison.

You can turn up and wander 5- 10 minutes from the pier and check out other accomodation along the beach then check out the dive shops.

Camiguin offers excellent trekking and hiking opportunity but diving is very ordinary there.
For budget conscientious diver, Alona Beach in Bohol and Moalboal should fit the bill. Choices of accommodations, dive operators and restaurants. Getting there by public transport is piece of cake.
Davao has great trekking on Mt. Apo and the diving is not too bad either. But it is in Mindanao!!!
As already suggested, Puerto Galera. There are plenty of inexpensive dive operartors as well as budget acommodation to choose from.
Coron is great for diving. But you have to prepare to travel long distance to the wrecks everyday if you are staying at budget places in Coron Town.
Philippines is pretty safe to travel but.....

If you like wrecks, do also consider Subic Bay also - it's significantly more accessible and economical than Coron. You can catch a bus direct from Manila (~250php) and there is backpacker-grade accommodation in Subic. All the recreational wreck dives are within 15 minutes boat trip from the dive centers. Most of the wrecks are within the 30m/100ft range; so ideally suited to AOW level divers. The wrecks date from the Spanish-American war, WWII and post-war.

Here's some diving and general travel resources for you...

Details of the Subic Bay wreck dives: Subic Bay Wrecks

Details of travel options to Subic Bay: Subic Bay Travel

General travel advice for the Philippines: Philippines Travel Advice

Details of the Coron wreck dives: Coron Shipwrecks

Feel free to drop me a line if you need any other info/advice.

what I am looking for is a fun place where I can do some diving to become more experienced without necessarily blowing my entire budget. I'm willing to do some work exchange programs to ct down costs.

Diving is not exactly cheap unfortunately- even in the Philippines. Coron, with the extra flights involved becomes pretty expensive and the shipwrecks there are not to be taken lightly... although the operators will gladly take you inside them.

IMO the Visayas is the region for the best diving at your level. Bohol, Cabilao, Moalboal, Negros etc. Moalboal usually has the cheapest rates for dives. Mactan can also have good rates for shore dives.

I doubt you'll find 'work in exchange' as there is an over-supply of labour. The Phils has a system of employing 10 people to do the work of 2. Salaries are next to nothing, but it at least keeps more people working.

Coron is safe, and its quiet. It is not much of a party town. There are a couple bars, but nothing compared to some of the other locations in the Philippines.

The wrecks are a lot larger than most people imagine. The smallest of the big wrecks is about 90 meters long. There are easy routes on the outside only with a couple of swim thrus, but we also have some routes that demand technical training and experience.

We also have a good amount of sea life and some nice reefs. Barracuda Lake is cool as well. It is a lake with a fresh water layer sitting on top of a salt water layer. There is a geothermal vent that heats the saltwater layer to nice 38C. Its like a hot bath.

The diving does not have to be tough. Do make sure that the dive shop understands what you want. The wrecks here are beautiful, but deserve respect.

Back
Top Bottom