Advice for family/dive trip with two teens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divergal65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're planning a trip to Belize next Spring vacation - April 2012 - with me and hubby (divers) and two teens(non divers and not interested...yet). We have some rather specific criteria for the trip, but of course we don't expect perfection, just want to see what is possible/not possible. So here goes:

Hubby and I want to dive nice reefs, but with boat rides less than 20 minutes. anything over 30 minutes is probably out and all day trips w/o kids is impossible. We want it this way so we can get morning dive(s) in before noon when kids (remember, they are teens) wake up. We're not at all interested in the Blue Hole, we have about 120 dives experience each, so easy to moderate dives would be preferred.From this it sounds it sounds like Ambergris Caye would feel right, yes?

When we're not diving,we would like to visit Mayan ruins, nature preserves, , caves (cave tubing maybe),or zip lines for taking kids out for some adventure during afternoons/ evenings.After reading many posts here, it sounds like Placencia would be better for inland Mayan tours :idk:

Also, a condo or some place where we can stay in and eat most meals (we're on a pretty strict budget) would be great too.

Right now we're leaning Ambergris Caye, but if we were to rank the nondiving activities, it would be exploring a Mayan ruin, followed by nature preserves followed by ziplines in that order.

Any suggestions - more specific dive operators/ resorts/ condos recommendations?
Thanks

Ambergris Caye would fill the bill for all your diving and trip requirements. As to where to stay, can you give some sort of indication as to your budget, and your preferences? Belize is not the cheapest of places, but there are relative bargains to be found. As to eating in, if you're prepared to eat local-type food you may find it as cheap to eat out in the evening. At lunchtime you're not going to eat a lot anyway if you're diving, and I'd suggest you do your own breakfast. I'm not the best person to suggest accommodation, though I do have a number of ideas.

The trouble with Placencia for the OP is that the boat trips to go diving will be long, tho' it's ideal for inland adventure and probably offers as much suitable accommodation as AC does.

As far as budgeting goes, we're looking for places that are around 150 -200/night for 7 nights. we like to stay in for meals, though I'm sure once in a while we'll go out to a fairly nice dinner. We're not really picky eaters.I think a place with a pool is a must for the kids. The Mayan Princess looked nice, right on the beach, had kitchenettes, but do you suggest something else?
Also , which dive ops would you recommend?
Also, IF we stay in AC, how long are the boat rides to the mainland?
Again, thanks for the advice:)

The trouble with Placencia for the OP is that the boat trips to go diving will be long, tho' it's ideal for inland adventure and probably offers as much suitable accommodation as AC does.

Yup. The boat trips there are about an hour each way with the SI/lunch spent on one of the many small cayes. Typically, you leave around 9 in the morning and return around 3 in the afternoon.

Personally, I like riding in boats since it's not something I get to do every day. It's a great time to meet other divers, do some sightseeing and then talk about the dives on the way back or just take a nap.

And hanging out on a deserted caye is a fantastic way to spend an SI.

But it doesn't sound like it would work for the OP.

As far as non-diving afternoon/evening adventures, I don't know that either AC or Placencia will work for that (note: I haven't been to AC but I'm sure Peter or someone else can confirm or dispute this). Mayan ruins, nature preserves and/or zipline tours are more like an all day commitment since there would be some travel involved from either location.

Belize is a small country but it's still a big place and it would be hard to do it all in a one-week trip. You might want to think about taking a day or two off from diving to do the adventure stuff, all of which is well worth doing.

Last edited:
I agree that afternoon/evening adventures will be next to impossible from AC, and probably from Placencia as well.

AFAIK Mayan Princess doesn't have a pool. Blue Tang does, and may be cheaper than MP. BT work with the local dive operator Reef Adventures, which is very small but I think a pretty good operation. RA will be able to quote you for a combined package, and I imagine BT will be able to as well. As a stand-alone dive operation my first choice would be Island Divers, but RA will be very good as well. I can give you URLs if you can't find them via Google. I also recommend you look at Belize Lodging Guide, Resorts, Hotels, Accommodations, Reservations, Rooms in Belize .

Back
Top Bottom