Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bhoops

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

My husband and I live in St Louis and are planning to drive south for a beach vacation and some diving. Aiming to make the roadtrip as short as we can so, right now, we're looking at Alabama and the Gulf Shores / Dauphin Island area.

I was reading about the artificial reef created off the Alabama coast, which sounded interesting.

I guess, overall, I'm wondering - how is the diving around Gulf Shores? Any favorite dives / dive shops (shore dives vs. getting on a day boat)? What sealife do you typically see? Are there any months / seasons that are best (currently looking at March / April / May)?

Thanks so much! It's my idea to take the dogs with - meaning a drive vs flight - so trying to get my husband excited with more info on the diving and what to expect.

Appreciate it!
Beth

Hi all,

My husband and I live in St Louis and are planning to drive south for a beach vacation and some diving. Aiming to make the roadtrip as short as we can so, right now, we're looking at Alabama and the Gulf Shores / Dauphin Island area.

I was reading about the artificial reef created off the Alabama coast, which sounded interesting.

I guess, overall, I'm wondering - how is the diving around Gulf Shores? Any favorite dives / dive shops (shore dives vs. getting on a day boat)? What sealife do you typically see? Are there any months / seasons that are best (currently looking at March / April / May)?

Thanks so much! It's my idea to take the dogs with - meaning a drive vs flight - so trying to get my husband excited with more info on the diving and what to expect.

Appreciate it!
Beth
There is very little shore diving, Ft Pickins in FL is the most popular. That area also encompasses Pensacola, FL. There are many charters in the area, most are good. (send me a PM if you want specific info I have dove with many in the area, only one I’ll tell you to avoid) in AL specifically I know of two Gary’s gulf divers (6-pac) and Down Under (bigger Newton) Pensacola has many charters. The months you listed are good diving, the water is still cold by local standards. Last year 3/24 66 at depth, 4/21 68 at depth, 5/5 70 at depth. All these deeper than 60 fsw. On 5/27 at Ft pickins and less than 50 fsw it was 80. It’s all pretty much artificial reef , bridge rubble or wreck’s. Lots of spear fishing especially on smaller boats, Down Under only allows pole spears for lionfish. Visibility can be 10ft or 80ft, that time of year I would expect it to be around 40 ft.

Watch the tides if you go to Pickens.

Gulf Shores-- Was there once (winter) with 0 viz, but don't think that's the norm.
Dauphin Island--We snowbirded there in a condo. No shore diving at all unless you like 9' depth and darkness further out.
Perdido Pass (jetty). OK dive. Bit of a walk (if it's still allowed) & climb down rocks. Very tide sensitive--go at slack.
Panhandle--dive ops charters in Pensacola (I used Niuhi Diving, basically in Perdido Key--was good), Destin (not much if anything before April, I used Emerald Coast--good), Panama City (several shops, I used Dive Locker, was good).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom