advice for cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

backprop:
I just got back from Cancun on Tuesday of this week. I agree with the previous posters. Before leaving, I emailed Ben from Mayan Aqua Dive and set up three two-tank trips: Cancun, Cenotes, and Cozumel. I could not have been more impressed. At first I was a little concerned that everything was through email and there weren't specific times for each of the dives, and so on (I'm new to dive travel), but Ben called me at the hotel on the first day and they picked me up right on time each day after that.

The first trip was to the Cenotes. Jesus was the cave-certified instructor and was an excellent guide and diver. We went to Tajma-Ha Cenote which was incredible; Jesus had a knack for lighting up the caverns just right with his light, and pointing out interesting sites. He was concerned only about he safety and enjoyment of the divers. The ride down to the caverns was made a lot more interesting with his perspective on diving and the local culture.

The second dives were in the reefs off Cancun toward Isla Mujeres. While I can't disagree about going to Cozumel at least once during your trip, I would not have wanted to miss those reefs for anything. We saw two nurse sharks, a manta ray, enormous hermit crabs, and incredible massive schools of fish. The current was very strong, but Ulises (the divemaster) was really good about giving directions and helping negotiate the currents.

The third day, we went to Cozumel. Mayan Aqua Dive didn't do a Coz trip on Monday, but Ben seamlessly set up the trip with Manta Divers (with our knowledge and approval, of course). Alex from Manta was the instructor that went with us, in addition to the local divemaster in Cozumel. Both were excellent, very complete about safety, and ensured everyone on the boat (9 passengers plus crew) had a great time. We did a wall dive and then a shallower reef dive, both of which were about the most stress-free, easy dives I've ever done. Alex carried a video camera and two still cameras, and in just a few hours, delivered a great DVD and picture CD to the hotel to take home.

To top it all off, Ben followed up with an e-mail today asking how everything went. After reading positive and negative reviews about most dive shops in Cancun, I have to say that my experience with M.A.D. could not have gone any better.

I realize this is my first post, but please don't hold that against me. I got Ben's name and email from some posts in the SB archives, and I wanted to share my experiences with them as well.

Good luck and enjoy Cancun!

An excellent first post, backprop! Ben's quite a character, eh? I'm going to try to get in the same package as Tigerman. I don't know if it'll be more partying or diving though...:eyebrow:

We also love it down there. I took my son last year for the first time and Ben instructed him. He was ragging on me about moving there! Now he's coming this year, the week after Tigerman, and my youngest daughter is coming as well. Her first time at scuba.

I'm glad to hear you had an excellent experience! Makes all the difference on your vacation....hope to see you there sometime! :D

Jack

Spratman:
Try giving Ben a holler at benrmooney@yahoo.co.uk. Check his website out, www.mayanaquadive.com. Small dive groups, more personalized service. He offers diving on some great reefs, Cozumel trip, whale shark excusion and cenotes.

If you contact him a couple of days in advance of your trip, he can get Nitrox. Also, he is currently located at km4.5 in the Hotel Internationale and can arrange transportation to and from your hotel, so you don't have to schlep the bus.

Tigerman, on the board here, is scheduled to be down at the same time as you. Might want to drop him a PM.

Try him out, you'll be glad you did.

I agree! My husband and I just got back from Cancun and dove with Mayan Aqua Dive on August 9th and had a great time!

I am still in Cancun and dove (or rather attempted) a cenote dive with Manta... well their second instructor (alex) was sick and oddly there were 5 of us 2 couples and me... and of course since they cannot take more then 4 people per instructor I was left behind to wait for another dive op to arrive so that I can dive with them... I sat at the surface for 45 mins :( I was also missing a fin which I had to borrow. At any rate by that time I was mosquito bitten, hot and teed off at this whole op... at any rate I was finally able to get in the water, by that time there were enough people kickin in front of me in the cavern to make it a bit dangerous... at ant rate I did not see much of a light zone this wound up to be a fully enclosed tunnel and so I decided to terminate the dive considering my ear was already aching and baking in the sun did not help... I was quite unimpressed with the incident as if they would of told me they have no one to dive with me I would of dove another day...

Hey Guys, if you want one on one service at normal rates, look me up when you are done here. I personally take out divers to reefs in Playa del Carmen and Cozumel as well as the cenotes. Look forward to diving with some of you soon!

Spratman:
Ring up Mayan Aqua Dive. Tigerman is down there now diving with them. If you want to stay with your group though, might be tough.

Send a PM.
As a matter of fact, I just got back a few hours a go, thank whichever gods you believe in.
The next few days down in Cancun (and Yucatan in general) is probably not going to be great..

I can however provide some quite specific advice with regards to diving down there..
I went diving in Cancun, Chak-Mool cenotes, Cozumel and snorkeling with the whalesharks. The thing i liked the LEAST was Cozumel. Santa Rosa and Tormentos was where we went and from the looks of things, thats where most go.. Its FAR too crowded and the ammount of life there is far from impressive. If I go back there anytime soon, I will NOT dive Santa Rosa and Tormentos again and possibly not Cozumel at all, Id rather have an extra day for the cenotes..
(ohno.. this could be the start on a long and expencive road down the cavern/cave street)

Glad to hear you made it back safely! Must have had a good tail wind...:D

Yep, cenotes are great down there. Probably the bestest diving! I was planning on doing my cave certs early next year, but I blew out a rotor cuff and will be lucky if I get to dive at all....

Maybe a more extensive trip report when you get some rest!

Spratman:
Glad to hear you made it back safely! Must have had a good tail wind...:D

Yep, cenotes are great down there. Probably the bestest diving! I was planning on doing my cave certs early next year, but I blew out a rotor cuff and will be lucky if I get to dive at all....

Maybe a more extensive trip report when you get some rest!
There will come a more extensive report, but I had some hiccups with British Airways, like them not forwarding my luggage from Heathrow to Oslo and I kinda have my notes in there :p
Also, Im currently at work, so Im kinda preoccupied and come to think of it, since I went straight to work from the airport and my luggage not having arrived yet, the trips not quite over, since Ive yet to sleep in my own bed :rofl3:

Edit: P.S. There might be room for some laughs when that report goes online :p

Advice Please...
My family is planning a vacation over Christmas week. Last year we stayed in Playa Del Carmen. This year we are thinking of staying in Cancun, so that every one can get what they want from this location. Father diver-OW,certified 2 years, 80 dives, 50 in cold water, did not like drift diving last year (tried once), didn't try cenotes last year, prefers shore diving, but is willing to learn so he can dive with his family. Mother-hopefully will finish AOW this week, 2 underwater photo certifications, 100+ dives in 2 years of certification. Son 30yo. single, OW about 25 dives (1/2 tropical)-interested in challenge. Son-28, single, OW, about 25 dives (1/2 tropical), photographer without an underwater setup(can only steal mother's part of the time), will often go along with older bother.
Hoping that a stay in Cancun will
1.allow a ferry trip(s) to Isla Mujeres for refresher dives, photo dives and easier dives for dad.
2. use of a local dive op for trips to Cozumel and cenotes
3. Night life and shopping in cancun as we don't dive every day
Any advice would be appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom