Advice for Beginners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marral

Reaction score
Guelph, Ontario (by way of Washington, D.C., Wisco
Ok, you experienced folks -

Please share your thoughts, ideas, suggestions here for those of us who are to embark on our first dive trip after having recently been certified. Any and all suggestions would be *greatly* appreciated, including the following:

1. How does one avoid being obviously quite new? In other words, what actions mark a newbie a mile away? How can those be avoided?

2. Comments about tipping would be appreciated (yes, I've read some other threads on the subject).

3. If anyone has any Belize-specific suggestions, feel free to add them.

4. Assuming that one has had several daytime dives without incident, what is the collective opinion on newbies attempting a carefully-supervised night dive?

5. What do you wish people had told you or warned you about before you went diving for the first time?

Any & all responses kindly appreciated . . . .

You're questions fit Zagnut to a "T", including heading to Belize soon after getting the o/w c-card. I'll make sure to send him to this thread.

Hi Marral

Take your time and think about kitting up, do your own mental buddy check to make sure you have not forgotten anything before doing the check with your dive partner.

New divers tend to overweight, this makes bouyancy control more difficult and you are likely to use more air, take a surface weight check on the first dive, the DM should help you.

On the trips I have been on it's a pleasure to have new divers on the boat, their excitement is contagious and it's a pleasure to help out and to see confidence and ability grow. Just relax and enjoy.

You might think about making a little diary of the trip, there's never enough space in those log books, also include what you do above water. It will help you to make a trip report so we can all read about your adventures.

On my first trip I spent the first 6 dives wondering why towards the end of the dive I had positive bouyancy although my new BC appeared empty. It wasn't until the DM gave it a good shake that I found the BC was trapping air, seems obvious now.

I don't have a view on you night diving, I think it's a confidence thing and between you and the DO. You could consider doing the AOW course which includes a night dive. If you do decide to night dive look up as you ascend to the surface.

Enjoy your holiday.

Neil

Welcome to the board.. Belize huh?... Lucky you! As TM said, I have "walked a mile in your moccasins" so to speak. Maybe I can offer a little insight..or hindsight, as the case may be. My wife and I went to Ambergris Caye in Belize for a week after only 6 logged dives.

First of all, I wouldn't worry about appearing obviously quite new. In, fact, I would go ahead and tell the DM that you are new to the sport. I think that is info he or she should be privy to (although he or she will probably be able to figure it out). That way they won't expect anything of you (skillwise) that you may not be able to handle or they can tailor your dives to meet your skill level. Also, they will go a little more out of their way to be an underwater tour guide pointing out some things you might otherwise miss. They will probably take you out on an easy (and probably shallow dive) to assess your skill level and your proper weighting. If your not sure about how much weight to use, ask them. They are pretty good at eyeballing you and guessing the proper weight (kind of like those guys at the carnival that guess your weight). As far as the other divers knowing you are a newbie, I wouldn't worry about that either. If anything, they will probably just share your excitement. One thing I've noticed about divers, is that no matter how experienced or inexperienced they are, they are generally very nice and very friendly and outgoing. Sure there are exceptions, but for the most part I think other divers would just be happy for you, and they may also just kind of keep an extra eye on you underwater in case you should run into any trouble. I made friends with all the people I dove with when I was down there. Some of those friendships I have kept up with through writing and phone calls.

Tip what you can if you think they are worth it. DM's don't make much money. We did a couple of dives a day over a few days and tipped the captain and our DM each $20 after the last dive on the last day (about 10% of the cost of our dives).

As far as suggestions, I guess I would just say interact with the local people. They are very nice and very friendly. We still even keep up with a couple of the resort staff members from our trip via e-mail...such nice people! Also, they (like many carribean people) aren't used to the typical American attitude of : " I'm on a tight schedule so HURRY... give it ALL to me and give it to me NOW!" Everything there isn't necessarily as luxurious or convenient as it is in America. You are on vacation so relax and be patient.
After my trip to Belize, I now understand why foreign countries think we Americans are jerks...because we are!.. I saw several Americans complaining, and talking real loud about how much their stuff cost, flinging profanities all the while. What a turn off.

I don't think doing a night dive would be a problem if you are comfortable with it. Again, let your DM know your of your lack of experience with night diving and be honest with them about your comfort level and he or she should be able to asses your ability to handle it and they will be there for you. Stay close to the DM and you should be OK. On our trip, after checking our diving/buoyancy skills on our first two dives, our DM asked is if we felt comfortable with a deep dive that would take us through some short tunnels. We said yes and I got some overhead environment experience and a max depth of 101' on just my 9th logged dive. I felt very comfortable with the dive because the DM was literally an arms reach away and 80'+ vis does alot to ease your apprehensions about diving.

The only warnings I would give you would be to be prepared for some choppy water where the water breaks the barrier reef (depending on where you are diving) and pay attention to what your DM says. On our trip, we exited the boat in 6' to 8' waves. Practice your backroll entries. The other warning I would give you would be this: Be prepared to want to sell your house and cars, quit your job, and move to Belize!... You think I'm joking, but it becomes a pretty strong urge by the time you head to the airport to come back home!

Have Fun!

PS
You can read my trip report in the Central & South America section of the travel part of this board. The thread is called " My Dive Trip Report...Belize Is Paradise! "

Is this the "newbie" Zagnut we came to know and love just a few months ago? Great post, Zag!

I would only add a little about night dives...don't do one until you have a fair number of day dives under your belt and have pretty decent buoyancy control and can keep track of your depth and air reasonably well. For example, you should not be "searching" to find your air pressure; you should be able to just glance in the right direction. Then, wait until later in the trip so that prior to the night dive, you are "in the groove". Night dives are really not that daunting, but they are little more challanging.

AND THEY ARE A BLAST! You will see things on night dives that will not be possible on day dives. They most wonderful nocturnal creatures come out at night and make the show unforgettable!

Joewr...is that really the same Zagnut...

Awesome post buddy! My wife and I have considered and done some research on Belize (Ambergris Caye in particular) and now after reading your post, Wow! I guess we HAVE to go now. About not coming back and wanting to stay... well I can say that my wife and I had the same feeling when going to Moorea outside of Tahiti. Tropical places... you just can't beat 'em.
:all:

Marral,

I'll just add my comment to the others about being a newbie diver. Just go out and have fun. If you think newbies are the only ones that do dumb things on a boat, you should search the threads! People with 100's or 1000's of dives still go into the water with their sunglasses on (and no mask!), drysuit unzipped, no weight belt, no fins (I like that one the best), reg out of mouth, etc. Just make sure your air is turned on and your reg is in your mouth. Anything else is repairable and forgotten soon (unless you're with good friends who will always remind you!).

Ask as many questions of the DM as will make you comfortable. They should know the dive site well, and the more you know, the easier it is.

Have fun!

Jack

I guess I'm just a testament to all the knowledge I've gleaned from the deep pools of wisdom here on the Scubaboard. :)

Hi Marral,
This probably repeats much of what has been already said, but each voice adds to the message.
Regarding not looking like a "newbie", don't worry. In fact, as others have said, let the DM know of your experience level- it will help to do their job in a more informed manner.
That said. it is good to avoid looking like an INEPT newbie. For example, take your time while assembling your gear- if you have your own gear, practice assembling it at home- a "dry run", if you will. If not- don't be afraid to ask. The best thing you can do is to appear confident, while being aware of your level of skill and experience. Most of the experienced divers I know are pleased to answer questions, if they are asked at the right time, and in the right way ( a probable no-no , for example, would be while he/she is about to take the "giant stride", for example).
Also, I think everyone who dives can learn something form almost anyone else who dives- experienced or not.
The worst thing you can do is to look like a newbie who is trying to pretend they aren't. That is telling tales that are not true, or exaggerating your experience.That act is usually spotted quickly, and the "know it all" label can get hung on you pretty soon thereafter.
I have a bunch of dives worth of experience, and there is a major difference in how I view somebody who "is new, but working at learning this activity" and " somebody who is new, and is not smart enough to realize that tyhere is much to learn". I have enjoyed being buddied with people in the first group, and have avoided the second group - they can get you hurt,or worse.
Another way to help yourself is to read up on the situations that you are likely to encounter- a boat dive, a drift dive, current, anything that you might undertake for the first (or second, third,etc) time. Look in dive Mags for "how to" articles. Here too, don't be afraid to ask.

Regarding the night dive- it should be entirely your call. As Zag and Joe have said, wait until you have had a few dives with the dive shop at your trip site, and if you find a good rapport with a particular DM, ask him/her if he/she will be leading a night dive during your stay- if so,again,be honest -ask them if you exibit the appropriate level of COMFORT while u/w-and hope for an honest answer.
I recall a night dive with a new diver (his fifth dive) . he was very nervous, but as I told him: the 3 rules are :
1.) be comfortable, relax 2.) realize you are doing this to have fun, and 3.) Don't do it if rules 1 and 2 are not possible to do- you can always opt out of the dive-don't ever feel compelled to take that step off the boat. At least in that individual's case, it helped.
I hope this has been helpful (lord what a long post- sorry!!)
Best of luck, and let us know how things turn out,
Mike

All of you are awesome, and I thank you!

Miked worded it better than I did: "it is good to avoid looking like an INEPT newbie." That's precisely what we want to do. The hints given here will help prevent us from looking too inept!

One of the benefits of coming to this sport well into middle age is the lack of the need to be macho or whatever the female equivalent of macho is. I won't mind admitting for a moment that we're quite new. In fact, we'll be diving with Blue Hole Dive Center, as we met and talked with them at Underwater Canada, felt very comfortable with them, and told them how new we are.

Zagnut, your report was wonderful - I'm going to print out both your comments here and the one you posted after your trip.

The 6'-8' waves are a bit daunting. Do you have suggestions as to how to practice a backroll entry? We only have one more pool practice before leaving, and we're not permitted to practice backroll with gear on in the pool because of fear of damage to the side. How does one backroll into the water with 6'-8' waves? Isn't there is possibility of then dropping backwards 12+'?

Again, keep those suggestions coming. And thanks again for having this ever-so-welcoming and helpful board!

Back
Top Bottom