advantages of getting a DM - is it worth it and why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If intend to work in the industry or assist your local dive shop with classes then DM is a worth it. Otherwise there are better alternatives. It to recommend a fundementals class throught GUE or NAUI. You already know all the skills, but the fundementals class will make you master them. Skills ranges include; out of air, mask removal and replace, ASCENTS (something many people don't know how to do, yet so important), rescue, BUOYANCY. These are but a few, yet will dramatically improve your diviing. Keep in mind, you must complete the rescue class first.

I strongly disagree. GUE DIR F will not teach you anything but is more of a course that expects you to already have the skills. The "instructor" will grade your skill application but will not take the time to teach you skills.
At least that was my experience with GUE DIR F.

Not my experience. We were taught, but were expected to go out as a buddy team and master the skill, which was later critiqued by the instructor.

Fundementals is a fantastic course. Right up there with rescue.

I love it when helping out in an OW course that students at first think that the "Dive Master" must rule supreme over the hapless instructors

So true.

Chris

Mikhail Frenkel:
hi all,
there is a course for DM offered in my school club. the cost apparently is very good (~$100 for the course + ~$170 for the padi crew pack). I'm doing a rescue class with CPR (~160 for everything) in a few weeks but i'm not sure if i should get DM certification. What are the advantages of having a DM card? I'm not planning to follow a commercial route, also i'm not planning to go to exotic places and work there so that I could dive for free since I have a newborn at home and family life takes over.
what are the most common reasons to get a DM certification? Have any of you who got a DM for fun (meaning no further intention to follow professional steps into instructor and yourown dive shop) ever regretted?
thank you
Even if you don't want to work professionally as a DM I would suggest the class. Once you are done you don't have to have insurance or pay dues, shoot, you don't even have to send in the application for DM with PADI.

If you don't want to pay for doing the class with an instructor , , , buy yourself the Encyclopedia of Rec Diving and study that, get the workbook and work through it. It is all great information. Get the DM manual also it has some good info in there too.

I will suggest the Media version of the workbook and EoRD the video and such in the media version are worth it and being able to redo the workbook repeatedly is good practice.

Just work your way to Master Diver by taking the classes in the progression outlines on the web site of your favorite aphibetical agency (i.e. PADI, NAUI, SDI, etc.).

Because.....

Becoming a Divemaster moves you into the "professional" catagory and opens you up to liability if a diver with in 1/4 mile of where you are diving has an accident. Being trained in how to lead, teach diving and prevent accidents can be held aginst you in court if some mad eyed, greeving family member snares you in some sort of liability suit over a dive accident. Same holds true for thoes trained in emergency medicine or advanced first aid that do not act if within the vacinity of a medical emergency.

I have done the PADI MSD, GUE-F (provisional) and last year, the PADI DM (in that order). Personally I enjoy diving classes/training and for the past few years have been averaging 100 dives/year. I initially put off the DM class for many of the same reasons that have been pointed out here but since going forth with it, I now see much more benefit than originally became apparent even though I do not actively work as a DM.

For instance, these comments have been part of my experience:

markfm:
DM work ends up making you a much more aware diver, keeping an eye on others, averting problems before they arise and learning to cope with them.

On vacations, pros can be given more leeway by dive ops, less "thou shalt be in a herd on exactly this route with your buddy". It's a professional courtesy -- knowing that the pro has had more training on risk assessment, has had to do certain things related to self-reliance.

The GUE-F is an excellant course for skills introduction and awareness. I dive in this style and have slowly progressed to where I am now feel prepared to go forth for the GUE-F tech course. I also recommend this course though my experience has been to be much more selective in my choice of instructor as there is considerable differences between being a skilled diver and a skilled instructor.

In terms of gaining the DM rating, the professional courtesies have been more than I initially realized. Since I travel often for work, and now carry my dive gear along, I often get matched up with "instant-buddy." Several times I have had these dives compensated as I was asked if I wanted to assist. I typically also experience not having to do the "guided tour" herd dives of these charters as I am allowed to go off with my buddy to dive together. The fact that I'm a DM has provided the charter boat "credentials" that the MSD or GUE-F did not. This may seem minor but I have found that it has provided me with greater opportunities when I join in on unknown charters in new places.

I also occaissionally assist with ongoing classes at my LDS depending on my availability. It has been nice to join in on any classes that my LDS are doing just for the opportunity to dive and do something different when I don't have other dives or plans. This has also been fun during the winter months when I get to go over to the pool on a weekday evening and just putter around with new students.

Another point that I have not heard mentioned is that because the DM is a "professional" rating, it now lets you claim some of your diving costs on your taxes. Though this is selective, it all helps!

The cost-to-you that is being offered to obtain this DM rating is very reasonable and the experience will provide another tool in your diving pursuits while also opening up opportunities that you have yet to consider or realize. I would recommend it and the fundamentals course as together these will make you a better diver regardless of future plans.

You only need to be insured and renewed to work professionally as a DM. You still maintain your DM rating if you decide not to continue working. You will have a lot more diving freedom as a DM even if you're just a paying passenger.

Done properly, you will learn a lot. You will be much more aware of what others are doing, which will make you a better diver. The Master Diver certification does not carry any of the esteem that DM does. In the eyes of the crew, a MD is just a AOW diver that's taken some specialty classes and probably won't need any assistance from the crew.

chris408:
If you just want to learn, PADI has a Master Scuba Diver cert, and you could certainly take all the specialities too.

PADI MAster Scuba Diver is not a cert per say. It is a rating indicating that you have gone through Rescue Diver and at least 5 specialty certifications. You take your proof of these cerrtifications to your LDS, fill out a form, pay your fee, and PADI sends you a Master Scuba Diver card.

DeepSeaExplorer:
You only need to be insured and renewed to work professionally as a DM. You still maintain your DM rating if you decide not to continue working. You will have a lot more diving freedom as a DM even if you're just a paying passenger.

I have seen DM's that were just paying passengers on a dive boat sued as part of a dive related accident that occured on the boat they were on. They were later released from the suits, but it still cost them money to hire a lawyer.

I pay my insurance every year even though I am not currently teaching. It's a small price to pay to have them defend me at their expense.

I've been a DM for over 7 years and never had an issue; however, I do conceed that a DM is going to be held to a higher standard, if and when it hits the fan.

I tend to agree, if you are not going to work in the industry at all then there is not need to take the DM course.
However, that being said I learned a LOT in my DM class. As with all other classes it all depends on the instructor.
We repeated every skill until we were very proficient and relaxed at it. Our instructors were very particular on clear, crisp signals. They threw lots of "student" errors & problems at us as well. Very interesting not knowing what the heck anyone was going to do and trying to handle it all. Great learning opportunity on all levels for me. I was even amazed to see the comfort level or lack thereof in some of the other candidates. We all grew immensely as a result and we all are better divers for it.
But, I would not have taken the class unless I was planning on being a DM and doing some work in that capacity.

DeepSeaExplorer:
You will have a lot more diving freedom as a DM even if you're just a paying passenger.

Uhhh... I don't get it? Please explain how a DM gets more freedom from the rules of the boat?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom