Advanced Wreck instructors in Caribbean outside of USA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you dive sidemount, I'd suggest Sidemount Technical Wreck | Andy Davis Technical Diving Philippines. Lots of real wrecks, bad viz, perfect learning conditions.
I do, and I love diving in .ph. The big issue is I work US East Coast hours, so Asia basically means I'd be up all night working and sleeping all day...

I doubt that you will have any energy left after doing tech diving in the morning :)

Nothing a nap and some coffee can't take care of :wink: Being a software engineer isn't a physically demanding job, thankfully.

I do, and I love diving in .ph. The big issue is I work US East Coast hours, so Asia basically means I'd be up all night working and sleeping all day...

Nothing a nap and some coffee can't take care of :wink: Being a software engineer isn't a physically demanding job, thankfully.
You will have no time to work. I'm a software engineer myself, but I'm 50. Dive training is physically exhausting, and you need time to just sleep.

You will have no time to work. I'm a software engineer myself, but I'm 50. Dive training is physically exhausting, and you need time to just sleep.

Well I wouldn't dive mornings/work afternoons coincident with training, I was thinking more of knocking out a single fun dive in the mornings after I've done my AW and then working (I did that last year in Roatan after I did my OC TDI AN/DP/ER courses--8 am dive, come back, rinse gear, cold shower, nap, and then work noon-8pm or so). I usually prefer to keep the training/courses to weekends because yes, it is exhausting.

Well I wouldn't dive mornings/work afternoons coincident with training, I was thinking more of knocking out a single fun dive in the mornings after I've done my AW and then working (I did that last year in Roatan after I did my OC TDI AN/DP/ER courses--8 am dive, come back, rinse gear, cold shower, nap, and then work noon-8pm or so). I usually prefer to keep the training/courses to weekends because yes, it is exhausting.
Training like this is going to be all day. This isn't like recreational con ed.

Training like this is going to be all day. This isn't like recreational con ed.
Yes, that's why I said I'm keeping my training to weekends. To reiterate: training on weekends, fun dives after training is complete on weekdays before work.

Yes, that's why I said I'm keeping my training to weekends. To reiterate: training on weekends, fun dives after training is complete on weekdays before work.

Perhaps you can do some of the classroom or pool/land training in the mornings over weekdays. I am sure that your instructor can work out a schedule that allows you to do work in the afternoons during weekdays and then train all weekend.

Awesome thanks, just messaged him! I work east coast hours, so Malta would be perfect (dive in morning, work afternoons and evenings, dive all weekend).
Never met Tom Steiner, but he doesn't need any presentation; however, I hope you are thinking only about wrecks. Not because he can't teach caves (I don't know and I do not care), but because Malta is definitely not the right place to take a cave course.

A good tec course is usually a full week, and the weekend is "maybe" free. AW with Tom is indeed a minimum of five days. Read it: if there is a problem, it'll be 6 days; if there are many problems (unlikely), it'll be 7.

Never met Tom Steiner, but he doesn't need any presentation; however, I hope you are thinking only about wrecks. Not because he can't teach caves (I don't know and I do not care), but because Malta is definitely not the right place to take a cave course.

No, I'm doing my cave training here in Playa del Carmen. I did see on Gozo Technical Diving's site that cave dives are offered though; although of course Mediterranean sea caves are going to be wildly different caves than what I'm used to here on the Yucatan. They do not teach cave; from their site:

We do not teach full cave courses on Gozo or Malta simply because the navigation is not complex enough here, we prepare you with a solid base here on the Island up to Intro to Cave and for Full cave we offer the possibility to do that in Spain, Mexico,
Dominican Republic or Mallorca from November till end of March.

Regardless, for me, diving in Malta is going to be mostly about wrecks.

A good tec course is usually a full week, and the weekend is "maybe" free. AW with Tom is indeed a minimum of five days. Read it: if there is a problem, it'll be 6 days; if there are many problems (unlikely), it'll be 7.
Yes, what I've been doing is taking the course on subsequent weekends; for instance, intro to cave is 4-5 days, my instructor here let me split that into several weekends (I also found I retain information better if I have a few days in between to process and absorb rather than just doing everything all at once 6 days in a row).

Yes, what I've been doing is taking the course on subsequent weekends; for instance, intro to cave is 4-5 days, my instructor here let me split that into several weekends (I also found I retain information better if I have a few days in between to process and absorb rather than just doing everything all at once 6 days in a row).
Curious about what you do for a living... what kind of job gives you all the flexibility required to stay weeks in Europe just for a diving course?

Back
Top Bottom