Adjusting weight for wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RLarsen

Reaction score
I know my weight for a 5 mil neoprene wetsuit, how should I adjust it for a 3 mil ?
Also, how would I adjust my weight switching between A-80 and A-100 tanks ?
Thanks alot
Rex

For the 3 mill wetsuit wear less weight. You know that much right?

For me the difference is about 8 pounds though I haven't dived those configurations enough to fine tune the 3mm. It could be a 10 pound difference.

As for the cylinder swap:
http://www.huronscuba.com/equipment/scubaCylinderSpecification.html

If you go from Catalina S80 to C100 you need 4.4 fewer pounds of weight. This is based on the lesser empty tank buoyancy.

Pete

RLarsen:
I know my weight for a 5 mil neoprene wetsuit, how should I adjust it for a 3 mil ?
Also, how would I adjust my weight switching between A-80 and A-100 tanks ?
Thanks alot
Rex

FWIW, the buoyancy of my 1/4 inch (6.25 mm) wet suit is about 27 pounds and it weighs about 9 pounds, so 18 pounds of lead weight are needed to sink it. But I'm pretty big - 6-4 and 220.

If you want to get some idea for either one of your suits, measure it and estimate about how many square inches of neoprene foam were used in its construction, multipy by the thickness in millimeters, divide by 25.4 to get the volume of the foam in cubic inches, then multiply by 0.037, the density of sea water in pounds per cubic inch. Weigh the suit. The difference is how much weight is needed to make the suit neutral at the surface.

Get in the water with the 3 mil on and check for proper weighting. It should be a few pounds less than with a five if all your other gear is the same. I used to dive a three with 8lbs. switched to polar tech and only need 4-6 depending on what I'm doing and whether i'm using my 80's or 72's. When I got my 5 mil I guestimated at 12. this turned out to be too much. Am now using 10 in freshwater. Haven't tried it in salt yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom