Adjusting levels in digital video?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikerault

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is it possible to adjust the levels in digital video like you adjust the levels in digital pictures? I was diving the Kulkukan Cenote and my DSLR failed (batrtery gave out) I used my HelmetPro in digital mode but the light levels where very low, so most of the time you just sort of see things but not very well, is there anyway to brighten the images?

Thanks!

Mike

The top end editing programs have all the adjustments you find on CS2! But without information you will end up with a very grainy picture with mono tones! Good luck!

What system and software do you have to edit with?

I've been a video editor for most of my professional career. The 2 systems I use today are Avid and Final Cut Pro. Avid (PC/Mac) maybe a little more invloved than you might want to get. Final Cut Pro (Mac) is probably the most bang for your buck. It's only limitation is that it is mac only. Both of these programs are at the top of the food chain but you can create something that may fulfill your needs using windows movie maker which is included in windows and imovie which is included with the mac.

Is it possible to adjust the levels in digital video like you adjust the levels in digital pictures? I was diving the Kulkukan Cenote and my DSLR failed (batrtery gave out) I used my HelmetPro in digital mode but the light levels where very low, so most of the time you just sort of see things but not very well, is there anyway to brighten the images?

Thanks!

Mike

Levels are tough surprisingly it is much easier to correct bright wrong colors than to lighten images that are in the dark. Depending on what software you are using try adjusting the mid or gamma levels. Try to avoid adjusting the black level.

I love my Avid curves just like photo shop! But it is the top end, but you get so much as well!

Though I have no real experience with Avid, I have been a user of FCP since 1.0 and write articles, tutorials and reviews for the editing websites, Kenneth Stone and Los Angeles Final Cut Pro User Group. I would suggest investigation of Magic Bullet's Colorista and Looks as both excellent tools to work with when doing color changes or appearance. They have made some fantastic changes to Looks.
Steve:14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom