Adjusting final pressure on a mariner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

igoRluse

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

Can someone here give tell me what the procedure is to adjust the final pressure on a mariner? Or maybe point me to somewhere I can find information about it.

I just found out my compressor guy is on holidays for 2 weeks and I don't want to wait that long. However, I am not a qualified technician, so I will only attempt to do it myself if it is a simple operation.

Thanks,
Paul

The final pressure the third stage would reach should be a matter of the blow off point of the relief valve (RV). I have two relief valves in my system, one on the top of the Bauer PO filter canister, and one on my fill manifold.

I keep the RV on my compressor set at 3800 and the relief valve on my fill manifold at 3500.

I have a Junior II and a Utilus and I'm afraid I'm not familiar with a Mariner, other than I'd rather have one of those than my current compressors. I'd wait and see if someone else chimes in.

Do you know where the relief valve(s) for the system is and where it is located?

Heh, gahd, I love these questions; no info beyond a general model. There are two main types. Just for discussion, let's assume you have the PO filter or at least you have the type of relief supplied with this type of setup and it is mounted on a larger canister such as the P31 super triplex, either way it can be adjusted. Bear in mind that your Mariner may be plumbed differently. If the relief is the little round can with cap held by two screws, do this. Using a gunsmith screwdriver or German made screwdriver, remove the two small screws on side of the cap. Remove the cap. Looking at the small screw and locknut on top of the valve, make a mark as to the position of the screw. For small pressure adjustments, loosen the locknut and turn the screw. To increase pressure, turn the small adjustment screw counter clockwise. A quarter turn should increase press by a couple hundred psi. If larger adjustments are needed, try the screw but it may be necessary to turn the large disc as the screw is for fine adjustments. Larger adjustments which involve turning the disc require a spanner. Turn the steel plate clockwise to increase press. This latter technique should be done by a knowlegeable person or technician. Once the plate is turned it may be necessary to make another adjustment to the screw.

I am only generally familiar with the other type of relief so can't advise. However, the DV-E final pressure switch (if that is what you are asking) should be described in the owner's manual.

Thanks, sorry for the lack of info, I only just took possession of this compressor and don't know much about it (or compressors in general).

I believe the filter is a P21 super triplex. It has the screw on top with vent and fill written on it.

During filling, once the final pressure reaches around 95 bar, a relief valve kicks in stopping pressure in the tank from going above 100bar. This RV is somewhere on the filter, but I'm unable to locate if the hissing is coming from the top or the bottom. I have tried turning the dial on top of the filter housing, but that seems to have no effect at all.

I don't have the manual for the compressor... is there some sort of workshop manual available somewhere that could help me with this?

OK, making progress. Thanks. My original guess was that the knob on top of the filter is what I was looking for. Now... when I turn that knob, it seems to have no effect. Whatever is releasing the pressure, just keeps on hissing and the the tank pressure stays at 100 bar even if I turn the knob fully in one direction or in the other.

Is there another valve somewhere that could be releasing the pressure? I'm guessing that there would probably be a backup valve somewhere in case this first one was to fail.

There will be over pressure reliefs (OPV) on the 1st and 2nd stages as well.

They are usually brass with a wire through them. They will be screwed in the 1st stage head and probably the 2nd stage condensor.

If it is leaking from the final OPV and it doesn't respond to adjustment it may need to be replaced.

Check the drains, mate. If leaking, screw the knobs in tight. Geez, you Aussies have balls. We need about 20,000 brave men for Iraq. Whatcha think? Heck, if one of those interstage relief valves cuts a f*rt you will think you are already there.
Pesky:D

pescador775:
Check the drains, mate. If leaking, screw the knobs in tight.

God I hope its not something this obvious

Back
Top Bottom