Adivice on using Fuji F80 EXR underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawitch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,
I am a diver who takes photos underwater - my bouyancy is fine so I can take a steady shot, current allowing, but I don't really understand the technical stuff and my results are not that great.
Can any one offer some simple tips on how to set my camera up to get better colours.
If I knew how to do it I would add a photo so you can see my problem.
Cheers chaps

You can download a photo to the Scubaboard gallery and then post a link, or you can put your photo on a website like photobucket or others that store and display them, then copy and paste an "img" link on the scubaboard post.
Usually color issues underwater are simply the lack of light. Just like diving without a dive light, the deeper you go, the more light and color disappear. Red is the first to go, so UW pictures tend to look blue or green and washed out. You can add back some red in photo editing programs to make your pictures pop (see the tips and techniques section for specifics) or you can provide red light with a strobe for your subject (within about 4 feet). You can add a red filter for natural light pictures. These work best at shallower depths. You can use custom white balance using a white or neutral gray card to tell your camera what white should look like at the depth you're shooting at.
I tried a green water filter when I first started. I found that due to the poor local vis, there wasn't enough light to support good pictures at the depths I need to dive to get under the algae layer. You may find similar where you are. Best solution is a good strobe and getting within 18-24" of your subject.

Thanks for the reply, I will try and find the gallery and upload some examples - I see lovely things but the photos don't bear witness hey ho

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom