Adelaide fatality - Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never learned how to get control of one then, huh? They will do that stuff if you give them the chance to. It's about the right approach and technique. Not that hard. Especially under water. Surface is a little more tricky but not that hard or dangerous for someone properly trained. I've trained 12 yr olds how to assist much bigger divers and know they could. It's an OW skill in SEI and NAUI classes. And it's part of every agency's rescue class.

Pretty obvious you have zero experience doing this :rolleyes:

EDIT: to be clear, now that I'm off mobile I will elaborate. Had you ever actually rescued somebody you'd realize that these situations don't unfold exactly how PADI or SSI or whatever agency told you. Things move quickly and I can guarantee you that somebody in better shape than you could easily drown you if they were to get into a panic, and you approached them. What exactly prevents the person from turning around? I mean that is your strategy, to get behind them? What makes you so much more capable of flanking this diver, assuming he/she is panicking and trying their best to strip your gear off?

The other thing is a person in a panic is going to be putting out 100% of their strength immediately, so you may be surprised at the actual intensity of somebody who is TRULY panicking. But by all means, pretend your training (which consisted of trying to handle somebody who was PRETENDING to panic) prepared you to handle say, a 240lb 6'4" marine who only has 4 dives but could easily beat up your extended family single handed.

---------- Post added October 12th, 2014 at 10:31 AM ----------

Exactly right, technically correct but morally wrong.
It's sad but it's a function of the legal system. There are many benefits to being able to sue people for anything, but diving definitely isn't getting any support from lawyers.

I never bring my certs beyond AOW on vacations for this exact reason.

Back to the topic of this thread. Yes, I know more, in fact the person who helped me in investigating the Tina Watson case has an employee who was this womens best friend. In addition, I have spoken some other people who gave me information. However, what I know is not a great deal. From what I was told (second hand from paramedic), it sounds to me like she had scuba divers pulmonary oedema (see my web site for article on the death of a friend on a dive I organised Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site) and then was sent or brought to the surface rapidly. It is not clear what killed her, but it could be either the pulmonary oedema or the rapid ascent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom