Additional accessories for GoPro HD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weaver9710

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be buying a GoPro HD in the next few months for a May trip to Kona. I'm holding out as long as possible hoping that they'll release the lcd screen, larger battery & lens fix. If an underwater lens is not released then I understand that I will have to buy one of the aftermarket cases. Other than that I don't know what other accessories to buy. I have seen that a filter is recommended but have no idea where to buy one or what to get. Is there one out there that will fit? I'm also considering buying some type of video light. For this I assume that I will also need a tray? Is there a tray and light combo that would work for under $300? Would I use the tripod mount to hold the camera to the tray? I plan on using this light for any dive deeper than 50 ft. Is this reasonable? I plan on using the head mount for the more shallow dives that have sufficient light. I have seen a lot of great videos shot from the GoPro but I haven't been able to find the complete setups that people are using. Any help would be appreciated!

I'm in the same position as you. I too am interested in GoPro, but would like to see the underwater focus problem corrected without having to buy an aftermarket fix. I have emailed GoPro support several times about the LCD and the flat lens, but they are reluctant to provide any details as the products are "still in development". This is their standard answer. Their website still says the backpacks (LCD and battery) will be released in Summer 2010. They are obviously way behind, so I suspect this is why they won't even guess at a new release date until it's set in stone. The only definitive answer I got from GoPro support was that the flat lens or whatever solution they come up with to focus properly underwater will not be released at the same time as the backpacks... this will definitely come at a later date.

The backpacks as well as a 3D housing were shown at CES in Las Vegas in early Jan 2011, so they must be close to releasing these. I think I read somewhere that the release date would be sometime in February, but that's just speculation until there is an announcement. The pictures from CES also seem to show a demo of 3D underwater footage, and I doubt they would have shown 3D footage that wasn't properly focused, so hopefully they have a prototype flat lens already that won't be too far behind. It's frustrating that there isn't anything more definitive available.

Thanks for the replies. Through a little more research I've came to the conclusion that an inexpensive dive light isn't going to help much. I still think I need the red filter, though. Any advice on a red filter, or any other type of filter that I may need?

The LCD is now available on both the GoPro website as well as independent sellers across the web. I ordered one yesterday, and it seems as if it will be shipped right away as it mentioned nothing of a pre-order on the website. I'm not holding my breath until I get the notification it has shipped, some of the independent sellers are saying early Feb.

The LCD is now available on both the GoPro website as well as independent sellers across the web. I ordered one yesterday, and it seems as if it will be shipped right away as it mentioned nothing of a pre-order on the website. I'm not holding my breath until I get the notification it has shipped, some of the independent sellers are saying early Feb.

I just ordered mine and says it will ship within 24 hrs! I needed this a few weeks ago! Now we will be able to see what we are shooting!

Just to follow up. Mine shipped this morning at 8 am. Should be here on Thursday...

Just to follow up. Mine shipped this morning at 8 am. Should be here on Thursday...

Any URL to shop this LCD other than GoPro or Eye of mine ?
Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom