Adding TTL to manual strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are a number of ways it can work.
While triggering a manual strobe off a TTL one will not give good results, the reverse is possible - Sea & Sea strobes have slave connectors in the front, so you can run a fiber optic cable from the camera to your YS-02, and from there to YS-01 operating in TTL slave mode. This way, when you want to adjust strobe power, you only have one knob to turn on the YS-02, and the other strobe will follow its setting.
Alternatively, you can run both strobes in manual mode while shooting wide-angle, where TTL is less desirable anyway (short burn time on camera pop-up flash limits output of TTL strobes, cameras struggle to evaluate proper exposure with lots of water in the shot), and use the YS-01 alone on macro dives, where a single strobe should be sufficient and TTL helps you avoid blowing out highlights.
A TTL-capable strobe is also a stepping stone towards a TTL-capable pair - if you decide that you prefer TTL over manual, at least in some situations, you may end up selling the YS-02 and buying another YS-01 or YS-03, and possibly a LED TTL converter.
Hi can you answer a question?
I shoot the strobe in to but control the power output.
Is that actually doing anything or does Ttl override that.
Thnx

Hi can you answer a question?
I shoot the strobe in to but control the power output.
Is that actually doing anything or does Ttl override that.
Thnx

Here is a paraphrased quote from the YS-01 manual regarding the light control dial (page E-11)

Light amount can be adjusted in 10 increments when the mode switch is set to the double or single lightning bolts. In DS-TTL mode you can micro-adjust (dimming only) the light amount.

Why not just get an Inon S2000?
YS-01 or similar seems the way to go...
S2000 is what I had in mind when I mentioned "similar" above. I have a serious "problem" buying second hand though. Here in Greece customs can and usually do charge import duties for whatever comes from outside EU based on the price of the new item even for used/second hand items. Add to this shipping cost and buying second hand from the USA usually becomes more expensive than buying new one. I am looking though...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom